Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Close encounter with Chinese Water Deer!!

Close encounter with Chinese Water Deer!!

I was out stalking Saturday morning when I spotted movement ahead of me, but what I wasn't expecting to see was this coming bounding towards me. The wind was coming from the right so across the ride ahead and I was just standing fairly open with some trees behind me. The reason I wasn't expecting it, because in nearly 5 years of shooting this ground we've never seen any evidence of Chinese Water Deer, either in the flesh or on my trail camera's!!

Great moment!!

Stratts

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Nice surprise there Stratts ,is it solo or has it brought the family along ?
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    Nice surprise there Stratts ,is it solo or has it brought the family along ?

Not sure yet mate i caught up with her again a bit later couched down in a plantation where I saw some scrapings that were new to me. I also found some close by in another ride but am not sure if Chinese dig like this or if it's something else as we have a lot of badgers here now. It's a bit of a coincidence though that the first time I see a Chink, I also see these scrapings?! Any ideas?

What a fantastic surprise, Stratts! I hope that one isn't alone and you actually have a bunch of them hiding in the tall grass.

Great video and a nice setting. It though you were it's mamma lol.john

looks disorientated to me like its been let out of an Ivor Williams
    happy days mate is that 5 of the 6 on your ground now ?
    cheers Doug

excellent video! regards SBM

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    looks disorientated to me like its been let out of an Ivor Williams
    happy days mate is that 5 of the 6 on your ground now ?
    cheers Doug
    To be honest mate when it first came down the track I wasn't sure about its behaviour and thought back to a DSC1 question about if you get real close to a deer is it because you are a great stalker or is there something wrong! I think I was just concealed enough against the backdrop of trees and the wind was ideal for the direction it came from. It's reaction at the end made me chuckle as it finally thought bugger it there's something there I don't like and trotted off!!

The only ones missing now are Fallow which is also surprising but there don't seem to be many around this area at all. The 3 reds haven't been seen for a while now unfortunately but they may be somewhere safe still, just not on my bit!!

I have to agree with Norma the deer has no idea where it is, looks as if it has just been released.

Anyone with experience stalking chinese know if they scrape the ground as my pics in post #3 as that's where she got up from when I saw her the 2nd time?