Thread: A Friday evening Buck

A Friday evening Buck

Had a crap week so decided to get out for a few hours Friday, glorious evening & luckily spotted a lovely Roe doe after 5 minutes about 150 yards away. She was standing just out from the edge of the woodland feeding in the margin, bathed in sunlight without a care in the world, gorgeous russet coloured coat, a truly lovely sight.

After a few minutes moved on passed her & glassed a further three fields & then spotted a young Roe buck feeding in some long grass alongside a hedgerow. I was out with the dogs last week for a wander & spotted 3 prickets in the same area & had then decided a couple needed to go.

As I was some 250 yards away I decided to get in closer, I’m on a track that runs alongside the fields with not much cover so it was a case of bend over double & move slowly towards him.
    By the time I was 100 yards away I was absolutely cream crackered, sweat was pouring off my brow & down my back & my legs & thighs were burning with the effort (note to self: must cut down the cigars & IPA Smooth)!

I opened up the sticks but then decided I would be too visible so left them on the track & moved forward again. I got within 60 yards & decided a low barbed wire fence post was a good bet for a rest, unfortunately long grass was between me & the pricket so I had to move again a few yards all the time bent double so he wouldn’t spot me. He was still feeding away oblivious to my presence until I reached a clear part of the fence line & then he saw movement, he looked up but wasn’t unduly bothered so I steadied my breathing (read panting) & shot him through the neck, he dropped, kicked two or three times & was still.

Crossed the fence, walked up & checked the eye for life, it flickered so I despatched him with my knife & walked back to fetch the truck, loaded him up & drove back to where I usually perform the grollach (near a muck heap so a good place for disposal). Stopped at the pub on the way to the chiller for the obligatory pint forgetting all about the note to self: must cut down on the beer!

Cheers

Chris

Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Chris

Well done - nice write up and great pics, though I can't quite conjure up the visual image of you walking along "bent double" - you'll have to show us at the Dog House

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Well done Chris, I know what you mean about the beer! Nice write up and pics.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Well done Chris,great write up
    Andy

Nice one Chris

So you opted for the hard way this time instead of the 'mobile high seat' option.

See you soon
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint View Post
    Nice one Chris

So you opted for the hard way this time instead of the 'mobile high seat' option.

See you soon
    Jon
    I can do "proper stalking" as well young Jonathon never you fear the "mobile high seat" (Range Rover roof) is usually the best option sometimes. Must say even though it knackered me I did enjoy it.

Cheers

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Chris

Well done - nice write up and great pics, though I can't quite conjure up the visual image of you walking along "bent double" - you'll have to show us at the Dog House

willie_gunn
    What you trying to imply Dom, my stomachs not that big.............................well ok maybe it is!

The ones you worked hardest for are the ones you always enjoy.
    Good read.
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    The ones you worked hardest for are the ones you always enjoy.
    Good read.
    basil.
    And I did enjoy that one basil.

PS: Just sent a you a tenner for the Musgrove Park Hospital Childrens Ward, did a charity bike ride 2 Saturdays ago for our local childrens ward at the JRII in Oxford & 55 of us raised over £5K.

Cheers

Chris