Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyme and some important questions.

Lyme and some important questions.

So this is aimed in the main at those who have has Lyme.
    Having spent all my life in the fields and hills I have recently been bitten by ticks, once last year and twice this.
    This has got me thinking and there are question I cannot find the answer to.

1 Why is it that some ticks hurt you when they bite and others don't?
    2 At what point did you think you might have Lyme[signs etc]?
    3 What would you recommend if you believe you have Lyme?
    4 What are the Long term effects of contracting Lyme?

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by levigsp; 01-06-2016 at 07:59.

I have no idea why some hurt and others don't when they bite. I personally never feel them bite, but crawling about yes.

Most people look for a bulls eye around the bite zone that gradually gets bigger. This is usually a sign of an infected tick bite. However this is not always the case and quite often there is no bulls eye and you may still contract Lyme. Not all ticks carry it, its just hard luck if the tick biting you is an infected one.

Symptoms vary, many get flu like symptoms, I didn't, I just felt lethargic and then my vision started playing up. If you get any suspicions that you may have been infected go to the doctor straight away. Blood test are carried out to look for anti bodies.

Long term effects can vary from person to person. It can re occur at times, bit like Malaria, even though you are clear. However untreated over a period of time it can kill you, or do un repairable damage to your body. Joints, nervous system, heart etc can all receive damage if its not treated correctly.

There are people on here that are far more clued up on it than me, but having contracted it some 5/6 years ago, it has made my arthritis worse especially in my knees. But as I am approaching the end of my 50's I suppose it comes with age and stalking in wet/cold weather.

I always remember the CLA fair some years back at Belvouir castle, I met a delightful lady in the BDS tent. She was in a wheelchair and blind in one eye...............Lyme disease had miss diagnosed for a number of years and the damage was done.

Take care, be vigilant.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    I have no idea why some hurt and others don't when they bite. I personally never feel them bite, but crawling about yes.

Most people look for a bulls eye around the bite zone that gradually gets bigger. This is usually a sign of an infected tick bite. However this is not always the case and quite often there is no bulls eye and you may still contract Lyme. Not all ticks carry it, its just hard luck if the tick biting you is an infected one.

Symptoms vary, many get flu like symptoms, I didn't, I just felt lethargic and then my vision started playing up. If you get any suspicions that you may have been infected go to the doctor straight away. Blood test are carried out to look for anti bodies.

Long term effects can vary from person to person. It can re occur at times, bit like Malaria, even though you are clear. However untreated over a period of time it can kill you, or do un repairable damage to your body. Joints, nervous system, heart etc can all receive damage if its not treated correctly.

There are people on here that are far more clued up on it than me, but having contracted it some 5/6 years ago, it has made my arthritis worse especially in my knees. But as I am approaching the end of my 50's I suppose it comes with age and stalking in wet/cold weather.

I always remember the CLA fair some years back at Belvouir castle, I met a delightful lady in the BDS tent. She was in a wheelchair and blind in one eye...............Lyme disease had miss diagnosed for a number of years and the damage was done.

Take care, be vigilant.
    I think Malcolm has covered most of it. I too picked up Lymes 6 years ago and I often feel like an old man even though am only 47. There are times when I just ache and hands cannot do much. Warm dry weather is the answer.

As to why some do and some don't get Lymes it down to a mix of own smell - do you smell tasty to a tick. And then how you react is down to your immune system. My father has spent a lot of his life in the tropics, never taken anti malarials and never had malaria. Most infectious disease are the same. It seems to have been around a very long time and old skeletons have the boreallis DNA. But it has come to the fore as many other conditions are now taken care of.

Malc has it covered, but doctors appear to be a little reluctant to send off for a blood test these days, especially as it can take some weeks after you have been bitten to show up in the test.
    Both me and the wife had a suspected bite within the same 2 week period, i didn't get the rash but got flu like symptoms, she got both, no blood test, doctor just gave us anti biotics.
    Cheers
    Richard

The rash only occurs in 40 to 50% of cases. The test reacts to antibodies and only works once antibodies have built up - hence you have to be well infected. It is only about 60% specific. The other challenge is that antibiotics only really work as the bacterium is reproducing, and the Lyme bacteria is slow reprelecating, hence the need for long treatment.

Pretty much as Sikamalc says, never had tick bite that hurt, had Lyme disease twice,first time very ill but had been feeling ill for almost ten weeks before being diagnosed no bulls eye rash.
    This time bulls eye rash and on course of antibiotics within ten days of being bitten
    , don't feel so bad this time, very tired, no energy,headaches which come and go sore joints but nothing I can't cope with last time I was hobbling around with a pair of sticks

If you get the bulls eye rash you have been infected go to the Doctors immediatley the sooner you are on the antibiotics the better, if you have no bulls eye rash its a bit more difficult all you can do is go to the Doctor if you have any symptoms the Doctor may or may not put you on a course of antibiotics may do a blood test, blood test is often inconclusive especially early on the tests usually come back negative if taken much before a month after the bite.

what Doctors don't want to see are people who have been bitten but have no symptoms the blood tests are expensive and there are only a couple of places that do them, so symptoms before going to Doctor bulls eye or other symptoms which may or may not be Lyme
    Some people get recurring symptoms like malaria ,I never but I knew a stalker who did get recurring attacks getting worse each time ending up in a wheelchair and eventually dying a couple of years ago as a result , a full twenty years after the original infection.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 01-06-2016 at 09:48.

Lyme Disease Action Downloads | Lyme Disease Action
    this is a useful site,

It is usually the tiny nymph stage (poppy seed size)that bites and is painless unless
    there is some later itchy inflamation. That`s why its important to visually check
    after you have been out and get them off quick. Less chance of infection.

I`ve probably had 50 or 60 over the past 30 years but I`ve never had antibiotics.
    just regarded it as a necessary evil.

A friend got one bite and immediately went into panic mode and got a course of strong
    antibiotics.

As far as I know I havn`t got Lyme disease but then you dont know if
    you are sometimes not feeling 100% or just getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by badbob View Post
    Lyme Disease Action Downloads | Lyme Disease Action
    this is a useful site,

I`ve probably had 50 or 60 over the past 30 years

Some of you guys are lucky I can easily pickup a dozen or more in a sing!e outing.

So having read what people have said and the downloads I find I have suffered with all the symptoms apart from the rash.
    however I have always put it down to two facts, I had Wiel's and also I was told by the doctors that after a series of operations on my Back I would suffer more with Arthritis etc.
    I asked about the pain felt when bitten because the second time I was bitten I had 6 ticks on me, two of which were between my fingers and both felt like a needle going in! the others I never felt.
    Thanks for all the information.

U can also have a look on the BADA UK website, i just checked and it's still semi active with some good info as the charity ran out of cash a while back.
    I always thought it was a well written site with good info