Thread: Reloader 22 30-06 180g

Reloader 22 30-06 180g

Hi folks. Over the next few days am going to be loading some 180g SP heads for stalking and also for driven game.
    Does anyone have any recipes for reloader 22?
    Even a rough idea would be helpful.
    Thanks.
    Luke

It's enough to make a reloader weep...~Muir

I really fail to understand why people who are going to reload do not buy or even borrow a manual covering the powders/bullets they want to use failing that do a little web searching after all we are dealing with safety here. Using the wrong amount of the wrong powder can lead to results that the shooter would not like just ask the chap who blew up his Blaser 93 and lost an eye or the chap near Lincoln who blew up a Tikka T3 and has some steel splinters embedded in his forehead! The Tikka action was at Forrest Lodge Guns the Blaser incident made quite a stir on the web as I remember.

If you are not going to do this right then do not do them. Now I could give you a rough idea .................................. one that I plucked out of thin air. It may be safe then again it might not be ............................ just how lucky are you feeling?

Or maybe just find the powder or bullet makers site on the web and look it up for yourself so then you can only blame yourself if things do go wrong.

There is a pretty wide variety of pressures with every powder, due to the differences in bullet construction and amount of bearing surface in 180 grain .30 caliber bullets.

So, in addition to the Alliant data, you need to buy the manual for the bullets you are using, and STUDY not only RL-22, but all the other powders they include, and their suggestion for the best powder for their bullets.

RL-22 may give you the most velocity with a well over 100% case fill, but you find that the most accurate load in YOUR RIFLE is a slower load of RL-22, that is actually inferior to some other powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    I really fail to understand why people who are going to reload do not buy or even borrow a manual covering the powders/bullets they want to use failing that do a little web searching after all we are dealing with safety here. Using the wrong amount of the wrong powder can lead to results that the shooter would not like just ask the chap who blew up his Blaser 93 and lost an eye or the chap near Lincoln who blew up a Tikka T3 and has some steel splinters embedded in his forehead! The Tikka action was at Forrest Lodge Guns the Blaser incident made quite a stir on the web as I remember.

If you are not going to do this right then do not do them. Now I could give you a rough idea .................................. one that I plucked out of thin air. It may be safe then again it might not be ............................ just how lucky are you feeling?

Or maybe just find the powder or bullet makers site on the web and look it up for yourself so then you can only blame yourself if things do go wrong.
    Im with you on this, first thing I bought when thinking of reloading was several "Reloading Manuals" to get the information required to reload SAFELY Iread with interest the loads that people put on here but would never use them unless they check out with my manuals
    Safety First

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray7756 View Post
    Im with you on this, first thing I bought when thinking of reloading was several "Reloading Manuals" to get the information required to reload SAFELY Iread with interest the loads that people put on here but would never use them unless they check out with my manuals
    Safety First

Ray
    I would still work up a load if it is listed in any of my reloading books. Anything other is just a short cut. I have 3 books to draw reference data from which assists me in getting nice accurate groups with consistent velocities.