Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer blew out of case

Primer blew out of case

I was testing some home loads for .223 , all the loads are below the max load. One of the rounds stuck on the bolt face when I cycled the bolt after firing. When I removed the casing the primer had blew back out of the casing when fired. No other rounds had problems and the brass has been fired probably twice before. What normally causes this? And is it anything worry about?.

Keith

Presure causes lots to much powder case neck to long bullet jamed in the lands etc etc
    Last edited by 6pointer; 13-06-2010 at 10:19.

I am new to reloading but I am very careful when reloading. The oal was the same as the other rounds which is basically as per the manual, the rounds have plenty of room in the mag so shouldn't be a problem. I use a lee turret press to resize the brass and trim each case using a small hand held case trimmer. Maybe it was one round that had a few grains too many but I would be surprised if that is the case. Thanks for the reply.

one odd slack primer pocket, would fit the bill in this case, as a one off in a bunch of same loads?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by ksb View Post
    I was testing some home loads for .223 , all the loads are below the max load. One of the rounds stuck on the bolt face when I cycled the bolt after firing. When I removed the casing the primer had blew back out of the casing when fired. No other rounds had problems and the brass has been fired probably twice before. What normally causes this? And is it anything worry about?.

Keith
    What exactly is "below Max loads?" I know it seems like an interrogation but questions beget questions! ~Muir

Keith. Another possibility is that the case in question wasn't trimmed to length correctly. Why don't you scan and post how you processed the brass and how you loaded the rounds? Rgds JCS

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    What exactly is "below Max loads?" I know it seems like an interrogation but questions beget questions! ~Muir
    Hi muir For the bullet weight the max powder is 23.7grains, the loads I was testing were 23grains.

Hi, .7 of a grain below isn't much if 23.7 is max, and your loading 23.

Moe..

Second that. What powder and bullet weight. You're not being very forthcoming about it.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    one odd slack primer pocket, would fit the bill in this case, as a one off in a bunch of same loads?
    That would be my guess also. It is one of those things that people who use a hand priming tool should sus out with the feel of the consistent pressure - any that slip in too easily should be discarded.