280 ack imp bullet choice

paul o'

Sorry if this has been done before ,I missed it.
I'v been thinking of bullet choice but only the copper bullets like Barns 7mm ttsx ect, anyone had a play with them out of a 280 ack imp ?
be happy to read about it ,inc bullet choice load, coal, you know the boring stuff we reloader's read about.:lol:
Just in 7mm please .
I use 140gr btsp at this time real nice bullet and works well, but would like another choice to try out.
:tiphat:

Nigel M has posted a lot on this subject with the 280AI, worth looking at his bang flop research thread. I have no experience of the 280AI but do run a 7mm RM which is not dissimilar. I have used 140g TSX on roe to reduce meat damage. This worked well but does not have the sheer stopping power I see with the 308 130g TTSX that I use most often. I have shot a handful of hinds with the Hornady 162SST. These dropped to shot but there was a fair bit of meat damage.

thanks mty , I too found out the pitfull of the sst in 6mm some time ago horrid bullet on small deer Imo. thanks again i'll try and track down his post.

update tried to find his info but coming up not found ?

Monkey Spanker has been working with and using his 280 AI on deer so perhaps asking what is has found might be worth your while?

Some info hre: ................................

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....0-280-AI-amp-thanks-to-Jager?highlight=280+AI

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/70897-Pimped-my-Rifle!?highlight=280+AI

Post #49 has dead eer and bullet used info.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....-vs-7x64-Calibre-food-fight!?highlight=280+AI

Hope that is of some use to you.

Last edited:
thanks mty will try out MS loads when I get some bullets
#3 got hijacked by car bolx but started well ,
I already use the same loads as tris as both out rifles were built from same reamer and James was the plumber lol.

I think my rifle was the first cut of the same reamer. Barnes bullets like a jump of +50' for some reason as recommended by the manufacturer. I set mine at 50' and it worked fine. I don't use my .280AI to anywhere near its full potential really, but with a relatively light load at low speed it is incredibly accurate and will last for years. With all copper bullets, you really need to go slightly lighter and drive them faster to get the same results as you would from lead. I should really crank my speed up as I get a few runners and no meat damage as it is. In fact, I'm going to do this and see how it performs.
MS

Thanks MS will try to find some 140 tsx my shop has none, but i have all the other powders etc So half way there lol
all the best
Paul

I think my rifle was the first cut of the same reamer. Barnes bullets like a jump of +50' for some reason as recommended by the manufacturer. I set mine at 50' and it worked fine. I don't use my .280AI to anywhere near its full potential really, but with a relatively light load at low speed it is incredibly accurate and will last for years. With all copper bullets, you really need to go slightly lighter and drive them faster to get the same results as you would from lead. I should really crank my speed up as I get a few runners and no meat damage as it is. In fact, I'm going to do this and see how it performs.
MS

Back