Who manages Conservation organisations deer?

Splinter14

Hi all,

Have just been wandering recently after reading up on the public criticism RSPB faced over culling, who exactly manages deer for conservation organisations? I'm thinking RSPB, NE, Wildlife Trusts et al.. Do some of them get their own staff to do it or do they 'hire' in locals with the experience/knowledge?

SM

RSPB put it out to tender. Wildlife trusts tend to hire in locals with DSC2. If you are interested in NT land, it may be worth contacting them directly where DSC2 will most definitely be advantageous to you. Not too sure about NE but I suspect they don't differ too much from the others.

Woodland Trust are in the process of handing over responsibility for deer management on their ground to the Deer Initiative.

On the Isle of Wight the forestry commission offer a "free" deer eradication service to landowners, this is paid for by the taxpayers of course

Hi all,

Have just been wandering recently after reading up on the public criticism RSPB faced over culling, who exactly manages deer for conservation organisations? I'm thinking RSPB, NE, Wildlife Trusts et al.. Do some of them get their own staff to do it or do they 'hire' in locals with the experience/knowledge?

SM
It varies from reserve to reserve. RSPB do some culling in house but use contractors on some smaller reserves

Hi all,

SM
I believe that The Deer Initiative act as consultants to most of the above organisations.

All of the ones that I know of are contracted out to individuals such as myself who then provide teams of individuals or sub-contractors. These are generally areas of high public access so there is strict control over who is doing it with associated risk assessments and insurance in place. You can expect to require DSC 2 as a minimum. Bearing in mind these are generally funded contracts, there is clearly going to be a great deal of competition to secure them. Most of them either have, or will be shortly going exclusively over to 'lead free' ammunition by choice.
MS

Back