Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossbreeds

Crossbreeds

thinking about putting a hwv over my german wire,anyone done it

An HWV is smooth vizla crossed with a wire already isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestpest View Post
    thinking about putting a hwv over my german wire,anyone done it
    Why? The result possibly could be the worst of both breeds.
    If you want to breed from your GWP wouldn't it be better to find a decent GWP sire?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I'm sure they would be cracking gun and deer dogs however!... I don't think it would be contributing anything to the long term future of either breed. You wouldn't be able to off them at the price of a pure breed dog, but if that doesn't bother you and you think you can find homes for a large litter of puppies crack on... May be the HWV and GWP are cracking deer dogs with similar build and temperaments so you would end up with a fairly homogenous litter. Before stud books became all the rage, this sort of out crossing took place all the time.

personally I'd either put your bitch to a lab, where you are adding something different to the mix, or look for a GWP sire.

hi guys thanks for the input,over the years I have owned quite a few working dogs including pointers,I understand where you would think that a HWV looks like SHV X GWP but it aint so,I am hoping for the best of both breeds a hard going strong dog that wants to hold a deer but is as mild mannered as a HWV,I have the use of a good GWP stud but would no doubt end up with a litter of stuborn headstrong pups,Im not in it for the money just a nice trainable dog that you don't have to nag for three years,,,,,,

if anyone else replies I am not being ignorant,off to Croatia and will respond on my return

Hi Northwest,
    I can see where you're going and why you'd want to. Personally Ive always had GSP's, great dogs and thoroughly enjoyed them, but since losing my elder GSP I'm just making the switch over to an HWV, for not dissimilar reasons to you, though because I work my dogs on my pheasant shoot too, I'm interested in a dog that works a bit closer than a GSP. By reputation, those HWV's trained for deer have no issue in doing what you are after, It was said to me by a very experienced handler that "pointers tend to work for themselves, HWV's work for you" so we'll see.

Not being a pedant but HWVs do seem to be a SHV x GWP from back in the 1930's when the breed originated, according to most sources I can see anyway.
    History of HWV
    Wirehaired Vizsla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://www.wirevizslas.com/history.htm

Of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying what you are suggesting, but it may be worth talking to a few true working HWV breeders and get some input from them too. have a great holiday!

Hi all,
    I have recently purchased a GWP/Lab x GWP/Lab she is now 6 months old and looks like a GWP. I have labs and spaniels for picking up and used to use one of my Labs for deer.
    The GWP/Lab's nose compared to the rest of the dogs I have is unbelievable and has found every drag and trail I have laid for her. her obedience and intelligence is excellent for her age, she is a bit more hyper and pushes the bounderies more than the Lab pup I have at the same age but if the first six months is anything to go by then I am excited to see what the future holds.... watch this space

The big difference is in the old days these folk that cross bred to form new breeds really knew wot they were doing, they would be experienced breeders (or there kennel men where) and would have great knowledge of dogs lines etc and have a very clear idea of exactly wot they wanted from the new breed (temperment, hunting ability, size, colour etc) at any time if a dog wasn't up to standard it would be PTS
    They would have very large kennels with 50-100 dogs and would only pick the very best that suited wot they were trying to achieve with the new breed, probably doing some dubious breeding techniques by modern standards, line breeding, but any fauilures runts where PTS
    The Korrthans Griffon is another later formred breed and the owner some king? managed to have the breeding true in around 30 years but was quite ruthless withe the pups/dogs he destroyed to get them there

Same even nowadays wit a lot of lurcher boys which are mainly cross bred but they seemto have a better eye for breeding to pick the right dogs/attributes whereas mainly gundog boys just use the most fashionable FTCH stud dog and never think wot suits there bitch

There is a big difference between wot they done back in the day and just breeding 2 random dogs of different breeds together

When ubreed any dog u can get extremems of genes from both sides and there is a large slice of luck involved, althou the more research u've done into dam/sire and there temperments/strengths/weaknesses the chances are u should produce a nice litter of pups.

Crossing 2 random dogs of different breeds u never know wot u'll end up with.

A pure bred dog of either bred would do the job just as well if u do ur homework and get them of the right lines (ie a harder line of HWV or softer strain of GWP)

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    The big difference is in the old days these folk that cross bred to form new breeds really knew wot they were doing, they would be experienced breeders (or there kennel men where) and would have great knowledge of dogs lines etc and have a very clear idea of exactly wot they wanted from the new breed (temperment, hunting ability, size, colour etc) at any time if a dog wasn't up to standard it would be PTS
    They would have very large kennels with 50-100 dogs and would only pick the very best that suited wot they were trying to achieve with the new breed, probably doing some dubious breeding techniques by modern standards, line breeding, but any fauilures runts where PTS
    The Korrthans Griffon is another later formred breed and the owner some king? managed to have the breeding true in around 30 years but was quite ruthless withe the pups/dogs he destroyed to get them there

Same even nowadays wit a lot of lurcher boys which are mainly cross bred but they seemto have a better eye for breeding to pick the right dogs/attributes whereas mainly gundog boys just use the most fashionable FTCH stud dog and never think wot suits there bitch

There is a big difference between wot they done back in the day and just breeding 2 random dogs of different breeds together

When ubreed any dog u can get extremems of genes from both sides and there is a large slice of luck involved, althou the more research u've done into dam/sire and there temperments/strengths/weaknesses the chances are u should produce a nice litter of pups.

Crossing 2 random dogs of different breeds u never know wot u'll end up with.

A pure bred dog of either bred would do the job just as well if u do ur homework and get them of the right lines (ie a harder line of HWV or softer strain of GWP)
    I read an article not that long ago where in Russia a guy was breeding red foxes as the new designer pet. Within a few generations he had very tame animals but he was breeding hundreds a year and killing all but the most tame with the least aggression. As grim as it sounds if you want to breed the best (or start a new breed standard) then you have to make sure that any animals not up to standard aren't allowed to pass their genes on.

Aye i seen an article about that too althou be a few years ago now (sure it was in National geographic, no idea how i seen it thou, must off been at dentist's/doctors) it started off as a scientific study, but it did say some of these mega rich folk where buying them as the ultimate pet.

Think it takes around 7-8 generations
    While i'm not going to advocate puting to sleep dogs in this country there is no doubt many are bred from that shouldnae be, plenty of very good dogs/pups out there without breeding from poor dogs