Thread: UK Garmin Etrex - Will it work in Sweden?

UK Garmin Etrex - Will it work in Sweden?

Morning All,

I'm off kayaking and camping in Sweden and due to the nature of the archipelago, i figured navigation may be a bit tricky, so wanted to have a back up navigation option. My question is.. will the etrex work in Sweden? All i need it to do is give me a Lat/Long so i can plot it on a chart.. But I've heard with certain gps based products, such as the astro only work in certain countries?

If this is the case, is there any way of downloading a new database or similar? Had a look on the garmin website but nothing stood out..

Thanks in advance,

FFM

Any GPS will work world wide using the built in base map.
    Will you have detail mapping is a better question, and that depends on what
    mapping you have installed, did you buy full europe or just UK ?
    If your not sure and can't easily see, open map page and scroll across to Sweden then zoom in.

Neil.
    Last edited by Hornet 6; 03-06-2016 at 08:58.

I use Garmin worldwide on land and sea. Position format is your choice. An alternative(back-up) of course is your Apple or Android smartphone.

Cheers guys, yeah, I've downloaded the admiralty charts for the area onto my iPhone but we're wild camping for 3 days so not hopeful that the iPhone will last for the duration..

When i zoom out on the map, i can see europe, but when i go to enter a waypoint, it has to be entered in the OS format.. I figured lat/long would be better.. can't see a setting to change the input? Its a Garmin eTrex Legend for info..

Actually... think I've got it.. changed it to the swedish datum for the map.. Looks like it should work.. Cheers guys..

Now that this problem seems to have been resolved I'll ask a GPS question if I may.

I don't have one & have never used one; which one should I buy for UK & world-wide usage & what features should I look for?

Any thoughts appreciated.

I'm no expert and i guess it depends how much you want to use it and where but my main requirement was about as basic as you can get.. tells me where i am with an OS grid or Lat/Long (so i can plot my position on a map), add waypoints to mark highseats, places where I've shot deer and areas i want to revisit and a snail trail to see where I've been. It is really billy basic and I never use it, but think its a wise thing to have if you're in unfamiliar ground, which is remote.

As an aside to this F/F ,get down to Lidl asap they,ve got small solar chargers in for your phone so you dont have to be without power in the wilds of Sweden .The,ve had them in a couple of weeks now so it,l be what,s left on the shelf time atb
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    Now that this problem seems to have been resolved I'll ask a GPS question if I may.

I don't have one & have never used one; which one should I buy for UK & world-wide usage & what features should I look for?

As others have stated, it depends what you want to achieve. For instance when sailing I can set a waypoint, be it a navigational bouy, headland, fish and chip shop etc it will give me a course to steer. Great in dark and fog but I look upon it as a means to confirm my position be it on land or sea. I think it is irresponsible to use as the sole means of navigation. On the hill I always have map and compass and at sea, chart and compass; they are my dependable means of navigation. The GPS is a means to CONFIRM location should uncertainty arise in the likes of a whiteout where features of landscape simply cannot be seen for taking bearings. If you notate your map or chart on a regular basis on-route i.e. using dead reckoning you have a very good idea where you are and if you find yourself in an inhospitable place you can track your last bearing back to a safe, known place.
    Hope this helps!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post

Pick up a Magellan 315 or Blazer on eBay for under 20. Basic GPS, 20 year old technology, no ability to download maps but does all the basic things you need - Lat/Long or OS positioning (and about a dozen other "foreign" datums), waypoints, backtrack, Points of Interest, etc.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!