Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry cracked nose

Dry cracked nose

As above, my 8 year old GSP dog has been suffering the condition for about 18months and we constantly lubricate the nose with various things.
    We have tried, lip balms, Vaseline etc. but it never gets better.
    We have asked the vet on numerous occasions , but always get the same response, put some Vaseline on it.!!!
    Anyone got any suggestions, please?

It could be an allergy, especially if it's a relatively recent thing. Have you changed her bed, feeding bowls, etc. New floor coverings in the house, etc?

Vaseline will just stop air getting to it and won't lubricate or soothe it. I'd be more inclined to use aloe vera gel, or P45 emulsifying ointment or similar. One of the biggest causes (I've read) is from plastic, so you could change his bowls to stainless steel or earthenware and get rid of any plastic toys, etc if you haven't already done so?

Hope you get to the bottom of it!
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Thank you for the reply, as said the dog has been suffering this problem for 18 months or so.
    We have tried the things you suggest and everything we can think of! but to no avail.
    The Dog is healthy in most ways for his age and the only thing I can think of is that he has to take Metacam daily, but I cannot get round that.
    What I need is something that will help his nose at its obviously sore and the vets DONT help.

Poor old lad. Aloe Vera will definitely soothe it for him. What's the Metacam for, if you don't mind my asking? I wonder if the two are related? Another thing you can try is coconut oil. This stuff's supposed to have near-magical properties, I've been told. Other half is a very experienced vet' nurse so I'll ask her and see if she can suggest something for you
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    Poor old lad. Aloe Vera will definitely soothe it for him. What's the Metacam for, if you don't mind my asking? I wonder if the two are related? Another thing you can try is coconut oil. This stuff's supposed to have near-magical properties, I've been told. Other half is a very experienced vet' nurse so I'll ask her and see if she can suggest something for you
    I was just away to suggest coconut oil. Although not her noise, our Border Terrier randomly had all her pads start to crack and peel off. We rubbed some on every night and they healed quickly. If anything she will be selling nice things all day and it tastes good.

I asked OH and she immediately suggested coconut oil too. She's away to have a look in the books, so if she comes up with anything i'll let you know

Is it getting worse, is it bothering your dog, is it bothering you more than your dog? If the answers are no, no, yes, then it's not a problem. If the answer is yes, yes, yes, then perhaps a biopsy to find out why. There are some auto-immune problems like pemphigous that can present as cracked noses.

Thank you for the reply, the nose is getting worse, it doesn't seem to bother the dog and yes it bothers me.
    If I leave it alone the crack get worse and the nose bleeds, the dog is as hard as nails so you wouldn't notice if it bothered it and it bothers me because I have had first hand experience of skin cracks that were not treated at the time, I would not wish my dog to go through the same.
    I asked on here as I was getting nowhere with my vets and I was worried about putting things on that might react with the sun and make things worse.

I'd be careful of putting anything with a strong smell on its nose. That may bother it much more than the cracks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

OK, if the cracks are bleeding - that's not right. Try a picture?