Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fridge problem!

Fridge problem!

I got a fridge where I hang my deer for normally about a week. Recently they are becoming mouldy very quickly and I'm not sure what the problem is. The fridge says its 5degC and it feels like it's about right. Anyone experienced this and know the solution. Any help greatly appreciated.

I'm interested in this problem having just bought a chiller myself. A friend suggested i should let the deer hang in the chiller with no power connected until the deer has cooled right down before turning the chiller on to prevent condensation and mould...

I think I would try it colder than that , I personally run mine at 2 degree's ...could it be a humidity problem ?

It is best to let the deer cool outside of the fridge naturallly if you can for first 10+ hours and the weather allows and in fly net. This gets the heat and moisture out before chilling. I have two larder fridges for my deer which I have fitted air vents to the top and bottom of the door and have a small air fan (cheap on eBay)inside to move the air about. I tend to turn the fridge on lowest setting with temp probe and display also off eBay so I can see temp without opening doors. After initial cooling off I put the deer in its jacket into the fridge for a week normally if a roe, longer for fallow. No mould or issues. I also would dress any shoot damage out, sometimes you can catch a shoulder on a roe. Running the fridge at 1-2 deg normally helps kill off any ticks too and that temp allows meat to tenderise properly.

Do you think I should fit at 240 volt fan in the top and vent in the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire lad View Post
    Do you think I should fit at 240 volt fan in the top and vent in the bottom?
    No because I think you will struggle to keep it cool but I do think you would benefit from circulating the air within the fridge.

Paul

Normal fridges are not good for hanging deer as you need circulation to dry the carcass and prevent mould. Drinks chillers and cold rooms have a blast fan which circulates cold air and is the preferred option. Chest spreaders also help to reduce moisture inside a carcass.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire lad View Post
    I got a fridge where I hang my deer for normally about a week. Recently they are becoming mouldy very quickly and I'm not sure what the problem is. The fridge says its 5degC and it feels like it's about right. Anyone experienced this and know the solution. Any help greatly appreciated.
    The first thing to do is buy a fridge thermometer or a max / min type and check the temperature...you could even splash out on one of the tenderum devices from Bushwear.

How often are you opening the door during that week of hanging?

If you open it a few times a day it will enable the moisture content of the air to be reduced, by changing it for ambient air. You wont lose much energy...the coolth is not maintained by the air but the mass of the carcass.

The drinks cooler I have has a little cooling fan at the top. The fan is covered by a panel which mean that it draws air up from behind the chill panel and blows it forward towards the top of the door.

Just a 12volt computer fan would be enough to move the air round a bit.

Alan

Although red meat in carcass form is to be stored below 7c, I would always store it as cold as poss say +1-2c
    Air circulation is just as important.

Get some air flowing and you should be ok, having said that the one farmer I shoot for liked his meat hanging in his cellar until it was covered in a layer of mold, same as his home made cheese.

We used to hang hares for one old chap up North who liked them hung until he could wipe the fur off and they would stink, not my cup of tea