1st Trip to Stalking Lease, Ayrshire, Scotland Continued...

The next morning we where slightly quicker out of bed and made first light, I had noticed that the valley that I had photographed the Doe in the evening before had quite a few fresh scrapes along the edge of the forest, so had a good feeling that a Buck was likely to be there somewhere, as i stalked up the valley and came to a corner, there it was the arse end of a buck looking over his shoulder at me... I tried to get the sticks up however he was wise to me and bounded off barking running along the inside of the forest, I new that there was a slight clearing where he was heading too with a high peak, as I rounded the corner there he was stood proud just down from the top of the peak with enough of a back stop, so up on the sticks, binos up and yes 190 m, the biggest issue i had was that there was a rock covering the lower part of the bucks vitals, however with such a good rest on these sticks I felt so confident that I could slide the shot over the rock and into the middle of the chest cavity for a heart/lung shot... The Buck took off at great speed at the shot out of sight and back into the forest, I was slightly confused at this point as there was a huge puff of grey when the shot stuck, I feared the worst that this could have been rock but i was sure the shot was good and the margin wasn't that tight, however it could also have been vapour from the fur of the Buck, it was a damp dewy morning and he had just run through a forest... ??? Well I approached the rock, covered in moss and to my delight there was no sign of any strike from a bullet, then to make it better a few feet behind the rock i found a trail of lung and then a blood trial off towards the forest, having followed this he was laid 10 m inside the forest, with a perfect shot just as I predicted before one of those unsure fearing the worst moments that we hate...

He was a fine young buck, looking at his weight and build I am almost certain he was only a yearling buck yet a small very spectacular looking little 6 pointer...

109_0939.jpg

109_0946.jpg

That evening I again saw a few Roe Does but no bucks, also some interesting signs of Reds on the ground and some more spectacular views...

109_0949.jpg

109_0954.jpg

The last morning we were again up early, I stalked along one of the boundaries again and saw a couple of Roe Does feeding along the bottom of a valley but again no Bucks, I was then strolling along on of the forest tracks on the way back to the car, pleased at having had my first 3 very enjoyable, relaxing and rewarding days on my Lease, when I noticed a brown figure to the left had side of the track on the bank, a quick check with the Binos and it was a Buck, marking his territory along the side of the forest, its ranged at 255 but was heading towards me at quite a rate, however i knew getting a heart/lung shot was never going to be easy, however I decided i would get across the track to the other back to get a better angle, as I did this he spied me, and i could see him peaking at me with his head under a fir branch, i set up on the sticks so I was ready but I couldnt take the shot at him in this position, i ranged him again and he was 188m, he then took one step further out and stood tall still looking straight at me, having shot 4 bucks already and knowing the rifle was shooting exceptionally and with the use of my quad pod sticks which i can only describe as like shooting of a bench rest standing up I allowed for the 2 inches drop and squeezed off a high neck shot, thwack and he folded perfecting in a heap, one or two kicks and then nothing else, I gave him a few minutes and then approached, to find a 3 or 4 year old buck with a perfect neck shot and another rewarding moment that capped the perfect end to a very very pleasing few days in Scotland, yes forestry stalking is hard work and there are certainly no guarantees but for me its the most rewarding stalking I have taken part in and certainly at the top of my list...

109_0956.jpg

I look forward to being back in the next few weeks for some more...

I hope you enjoyed the read...

ATB

Alex

looks like you havent lost the knack of finding deer then alex!! great pics wouldnt mind some of that myself but dont think i could sit in the car that long.

ATB Steve

Well done Alex on getting a lease :lol: and by looks of it a good one mate.

Happy stalking

ATB
Dave

Alex,

Now that has just wet my appetite!

.....and you know I have been cold turkey for a long while now!

Cracking write up, im very glad your happy with the lease.

ATB

Colin

Super super write up and pics.

Superb and thank you for posting.

You have good camera skills too.

Thanks guys for all your very kind comments... Fingers crossed there will be another positive addition to the story over the next couple of weeks...

ATB

Alex

Very nice set up Alex

What bullets are you using and waht kind of performance do you get out of the Pac Nor (group size wise I mean)?

Thanks

JB

70 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, N 150 Powder 45grains, Remington Primer...

Well I have only just started reloading for the AI but immediately 4 out of 5 shots at 100 will be touching the other will be within .5 inch so i expect by shooting is to blame simply cant fault anything about the rifle yet, however early days will have to see but signs are even more promising than one could dream of...

ATB

Alex

Thanks guys for all your very kind comments... Fingers crossed there will be another positive addition to the story over the next couple of weeks...

ATB

Alex

well done mate:thumb: been trying to ring you dont know if your phone is broke or what!!! give me a bell mate

Back