PayPal 'gift'

JockStalk

OK - I admit I'm not the most computer techy person.

I've seen, and purchased, a number of items using PayPal - many on SD. Without a problem I might add.

More often than not I'm asked to make the payment a 'gift' in PayPal. (I think I just clicked a box for that?) and was under the impression that this just avoided some transaction fees for the seller.

Now I've been made aware that this 'gift' thing actually reduces the buyers protection if it all goes shiny side down. Item not received, item not as described etc.

Is that right?

To be honest, however anyone paid I'd resolve it. But just interested in what the difference, if any, is.

Jim

yes its for giving money to Friends and family as a gift i.e people you trust
this is why you have to tell teh seller your address to post to as paypal dosnt automatically give it to you as it does with Goods and services Transactions.
the is no Protection at all or any way to get your money back your end as GIFT means you gave it to them

BTW it is against Paypal policy for a seller to ask for payment of goods or services as a Gift payment

use this Webpage to work out how much extra you need ot pay to cover fees and get the protection with the seller getting the full amount they want

PayPal Fees Calculator

Both facts, as per OP, are correct. If buying or selling on here, SD, I use Paypal 'gift' as it ensures the person listing the goods gets 100% of what their price is. And as a buyer it's easier and quicker that sending a cheque or doing a bank transfer.

On eBay? Never! As other contributors say you've just lost your Buyer Protection. So either 'gift' or 'purchase' have their place. It's just knowing when one method is better appropriate that the other. Here yes, eBay no.

BobT

That's not quite correct; This is from their site 'It’s free to use PayPal to send or receive money between friends and family in the UK, as long as the payment is funded by a bank account, debit card or PayPal balance, and no currency conversion is involved'

F

BobT

That's not quite correct; This is from their site 'It’s free to use PayPal to send or receive money between friends and family in the UK, as long as the payment is funded by a bank account, debit card or PayPal balance, and no currency conversion is involved'

F

thats a new one on me, I often get charged, but the funds come from a card.

there is a fee to the Buyer IF you pay and the money takes from a credit card as Paypal get charged a credit card fee

if you have money in your paypal account or the funds transfer from a bank account ie via a Debit card there is no Fee to the buyer as tehr is no fee to paypal

lots of places will have a Fee for Credit card and wave it for debit cards

Thanks for that info. A friend bought on fleebay at portaloo trailer in Edinburgh for his marquee business. Paid without protection and when he got there the address didn't exist. £10k plus travelling - ouch !

More fool him!

Paypal buyer and seller protection isn't worth the paper it isn't printed on
i have been burned by both, some by fraud some by just by misrepresentation.

they will put you through hoops and drop it at the first sign of non compliance on your part

Worth the credit card fee payment for protection you get using credit card, probably better protection than PayPal itself
Paul

'tis true... no fee for sending money to family or friends as long as funded from paypal balance or bank account.. If its from a credit card, that's a different matter as Paypal will be charged a transaction fee by the cc company.

Back