Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: harkila gear

harkila gear

Hi all, looking at taking the plunge and buying some harkila gear, namely the pro hunter jacket and trousers. is it worth the money?
    can anyone explain to me the difference between pro hunter, pro hunter x or pro hunter active.
    also has anyone ever had any issues with it? and what other options are there? I'm not a fan of the swazi style of stuff. that micro fleece isn't my cup of tea.
    thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    Hi all, looking at taking the plunge and buying some harkila gear, namely the pro hunter jacket and trousers. is it worth the money?
    can anyone explain to me the difference between pro hunter, pro hunter x or pro hunter active.
    also has anyone ever had any issues with it? and what other options are there? I'm not a fan of the swazi style of stuff. that micro fleece isn't my cup of tea.
    thanks all!
    I've got the original prohunter jacket and trousers. For cold wet hunting, great kit. Is it worth the money? I think it is. sorry can't help with the differences between prohunter models.
    I'm a fan of Swazi gear as well and think the under layer clothing is the dogs Böllocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    thanks all!
    It depends. If you are standing around on a posh shoot then perhaps they will do a job, but if you have to get down on the ground in the wind and the rain, then Harkila are a complete waste of money.

Regards

JCS

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    My experience suggests the opposite.

I've had a ProHunter jacket for maybe 7 or 8 years, used it in all sorts of conditions, and been very happy with it.

The Kodiak trousers I've had a for a year or two longer and they are my "go to" trouser for stalking, particularly in Winter or when up in the Highlands. I've crawled through burns and peat bogs with them and never been anything less than impressed. I've laid up on the tops in driving rain whilst the other rifle has gone for his stalk and they've kept me bone dry.

I took both to Sweden for Moose Hunting, and take both to Croatia for driven boar. In rain, wind and snow they've performed as well as any jacket I've got (and I have Swazi, Musto, Fjallraven, Kammo, Nomad.......)
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I have prohunterX jacket and trousers and have found them extremely good, my only piece of advice is dont expect to be using them in the summer as they are far too warm!, perfect in the winter though

Have had ProHunter jacket and trousers for 4 years now - they are excellent and have never let me down - I also have the goretex boots (18 months - worn every day) and have followed the care advice - again, never let me down (apart from laces breaking, to which Simon from Seeland had a new pair sent FOC which arrived in a couple of days).

Read between the lines and take advice from people who actually use the stuff and look after it - also, 5 year no-quibble guarantee - have seen others very-well-worn stuff sent off and repaired FOC or new sent back.
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

I have the Prohunter x jacket and trousers, the only thing the trousers could do with is a zip on the pockets, under the flaps.

have owned little Harkila stuff, but quite a bit of Seeland and as its all made in the same place, im betting the quality is similar, even if some of the materials arent.

Seeland stuff seemed great to start with but zips broke easily, waterproof membrane is not well bonded to material and comes away easily leaving clumps of clingfilm in your trousers, membrane also punctured really easily. Stitching not the best either, so have binned Seeland for clothing and have switched to Deerhunter instead - seems better made and less bulky.

The only bit of harlika kit i do have now are a pair of boots - these are now 5 years old and showing no signs of wear or fatigue, so i can vouch for them.

I have used the original pro hunter suit for the last 4 years in all weathers and it has been just about perfect, howeverI would never buy the boots after seeing too many friends wet feet.

Most folk do rate harkilla clothing, althou i've had 3 pairs of boots and all complete rubbish (last 2 pairs were 50+% off but still rubbish for the money, will never have another pair, and know a few folk all with exact same issues) althou some folk say the quality is not as good as it used to be on the original stuff but they say that about most brands when becomes popular quality drops

But everyone has their own opinions and esp so with boots so i've mibee just been inlucky? But will also depend how hard u wear them too.

I think the problem when buying anything like that is ur buying 1 fairly big bulky jacket to do everything, while ur needs while be very different from season to season (summer/winter or even am/pm to mid day) or standing on a peg/high seat to actively walking up steep hills.
    Plus some folk sweat/heat up more than others.

Personally i prefer a really decent light waterproof and u can layer up/down as needed for the day. Esp now with modern fleeces etc being wind proof, whereas with a big jacket its either on or off then u've got to carry it about.

For the same reason i'd never buy 1 off those smock things and always pay extra for the similar jacket gives u more temp control just by opening the zip up, know a few folk that moan about there smocks as day goes on or if sun ever comes out but not warm enough to take it off

All horses for courses and depends wot type of shooting/ground u have and wot u prefer.

Even with me working outdoors and old shooting gear becoming working gear i could never justify that sort of cash on a jacket
    Last edited by countrryboy; 03-06-2016 at 13:33.