How to do a 1-4-1 variation

Toller

Never done one before.

I'm looking to change the moderator on my 308 for something different.

What's the process?

My understanding was that I...

1. Have to sell my existing mod
  2. Submit the variation form with my FAC
  3. Receive an updated FAC (with empty slot for new mod)
  4. Buy new moderator

Is this accurate?

What concerns me is the waiting time between (2) and (3)!!

If there's no serial number on your existing mod (if there is it will be listed in your FAC), and the mod you want to buy doesn't have a serial number, then you don't need to apply for a variation, because there's no way to uniquely identify the moderator on your rifle
Go to your RFD and get him to buy your old mod off you and also supply your new one - simples.
I did this a couple of weeks ago, changing the Hardy GenIV on my 243 for a DPT

Cheers

Bruce

Interesting. There isn't a serial number listed on my FAC... but there is a manufacturer and model stated in the description.

Did yours just say 'moderator'?

Your FAC would have the mod. recorded as..ie. F B Moderator No number, in order to follow mealliejimmy's advice. Otherwise you are correct in the op.

Unfortunately and (wrongly imo :() they are a separate firearm. john

Your FAC would have the mod. recorded as..ie. F B Moderator No number, in order to follow mealliejimmy's advice. Otherwise you are correct in the op.

Unfortunately and (wrongly imo :() they are a separate firearm. john

Oh well, never mind then.:( Got my hopes up there!

Agreed, it's ridiculous that they're classed as a separate firearm.

Can you not put in a variation for an additional moderator, allowing you to possess your existing moderator that you can then sell once you have purchased the new one?

Can you not put in a variation for an additional moderator, allowing you to possess your existing moderator that you can then sell once you have purchased the new one?

Hadn't considered that approach. It won't be a 1-4-1 in that case (??) but if it saves me being sans moderator for a while then it's worth enquiring about.

Hadn't considered that approach. It won't be a 1-4-1 in that case (??) but if it saves me being sans moderator for a while then it's worth enquiring about.

It will be more expensive that way.
A one for one (god, how I hate 1-4-1!!) won't cost you anything, since you are not increasing the number of "firearms" on your certificate.
Adding another moderator will increase the number of "firearms" on your certificate - and you'll have to justify why you want another moderator and will cost £26 (I might be wrong on the exact price)

Cheers

Bruce

£26 would be worth it if I didn't have to go a few weeks without a moderator. Not sure how I could justify an 'extra' mod though.

An alternative is to put in a 1 for 1 with a separate written request to have your existing moderator transferred to a temporary permit, giving you 3 months to sell or dispose. (Free of charge). Just used this option when changing my 223. Regards, D.

An alternative is to put in a 1 for 1 with a separate written request to have your existing moderator transferred to a temporary permit, giving you 3 months to sell or dispose. (Free of charge). Just used this option when changing my 223. Regards, D.

Now that sounds perfect. I'll inquire about that next week.

Never done one before.

I'm looking to change the moderator on my 308 for something different.

What's the process?

My understanding was that I...

1. Have to sell my existing mod
  2. Submit the variation form with my FAC
  3. Receive an updated FAC (with empty slot for new mod)
  4. Buy new moderator

Is this accurate?

What concerns me is the waiting time between (2) and (3)!!

That should not be a concern, as you should only need to send a copy of your certificate for a variation.

https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/media/303176/eii-form-201v-15-mar.pdf

This is Devon Cornwall application for a variation.... Note you only need a copy of your certificate to apply for variation, which allows you to purchase consumables which require presentation of your certificate to your RFD.

Hope that helps.

That should not be a concern, as you should only need to send a copy of your certificate for a variation.

https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/media/303176/eii-form-201v-15-mar.pdf

This is Devon Cornwall application for a variation.... Note you only need a copy of your certificate to apply for variation, which allows you to purchase consumables which require presentation of your certificate to your RFD.

Hope that helps.

That's true, i send in a copy. I hand the certificate over when they ask for it on the visit

Back