Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FC Shooting Test was trickier than i expected

FC Shooting Test was trickier than i expected

Did a FC shooting test last week. The new arrangement with shots taken from various different positions.

I thought i would share my experience

The zeroing target was fine...

The rest of it was shooting a deer silhouette with invisible kill zone outline (just like DSC L1 test).

• 2 shots prone (100m)
    • 2 shots from 'low seat' (100m)
    • 2 shots from the driver's seat of the FC Ford Ranger (100m)
    • 2 shots kneeling - on sticks (70m)
    • 2 shots standing - on sticks (50m)

First attempt was a tight group but low and to the right on the kill zone. One shot was just outside... so i had to start again. I think my initial 2 shots had been a bit low and they drew me into shooting the rest at these holes.

On the second attempt i was a bit rattled. Group size was larger but within the zone... except one that wasn't. I hadn't been comfy on the 'low seat'

Start again. Third and final attempt. I wasn't happy at all. I knew i'd screwed up and this next one had to count. Pressure and nerves are a great recipe for accuracy.

I just chilled out. Took things MUCH more slowly. Got first 2 shots perfectly in the centre of the kill zone and that gave me a good foundation to aim at! I only realised after this third successful round that i had rushed through the shots on the first two attempts.

Final thing was humane dispatch target at about 8 metres.

Phew! I felt like a total prat but at least i got there in the end. Quite a comprehensive shooting test now.

Also, the first time i was asked to take two shots from inside the truck, i thought he was joking!
    Last edited by Toller; 03-06-2016 at 20:03. Reason: can't spell...

Sounds like an interesting test. How big is the kill zone on the targets?

I thought it wasn't the done thing to shoot deer from a truck?

Well done for passing the test though - quite unnerving people watching you shoot
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

[QUOTE=Hereford;1122134]I thought it wasn't the done thing to shoot deer from a truck?/QUOTE] ���������� ignition off

As long as the vehicle is stationary with the engine switched off it is now legal.
    The law was changed to facilitate the FC rangers who found it difficult to complete their culls as they only ever saw Deer from their vehicles.

[QUOTE=Hereford;1122134]I thought it wasn't the done thing to shoot deer from a truck?

Well it was the FC test what did you expect
    Seriously though so long as the vehicle is not running its legal.

[QUOTE=bogtrotter;1122151]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hereford View Post
    I thought it wasn't the done thing to shoot deer from a truck?

Well it was the FC test what did you expect
    Seriously though so long as the vehicle is not running its legal.
    Got you - I remember now
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Quote Originally Posted by Toller View Post
    Did a FC shooting test last week. The new arrangement with shots taken from various different positions.

I thought i would share my experience

The zeroing target was fine...

The rest of it was shooting a deer silhouette with invisible kill zone outline (just like DSC L1 test).

• 2 shots prone (100m)
    • 2 shots from 'low seat' (100m)
    • 2 shots from the driver's seat of the FC Ford Ranger (100m)
    • 2 shots kneeling - on sticks (70m)
    • 2 shots standing - on sticks (50m)

First attempt was a tight group but low and to the right on the kill zone. One shot was just outside... so i had to start again. I think my initial 2 shots had been a bit low and they drew me into shooting the rest at these holes.

On the second attempt i was a bit rattled. Group size was larger but within the zone... except one that wasn't. I hadn't been comfy on the 'low seat'

Start again. Third and final attempt. I wasn't happy at all. I knew i'd screwed up and this next one had to count. Pressure and nerves are a great recipe for accuracy.

I just chilled out. Took things MUCH more slowly. Got first 2 shots perfectly in the centre of the kill zone and that gave me a good foundation to aim at! I only realised after this third successful round that i had rushed through the shots on the first two attempts.

Final thing was humane dispatch target at about 8 metres.

Phew! It felt like like at total prat but at least i got there in the end. Quite a comprehensive shooting test now.

Also, the first time i was asked to take two shots from inside the truck, i thought he was joking!
    Wasn't there a test shooting with the aid of a lamp

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan_Terrier View Post
    Sounds like an interesting test. How big is the kill zone on the targets?
    A 6-7 inch circle at a guess. It's not visible through the scope. It's also not quite where i would place the ideal kill zone on a deer. i.e. it's very slightly further forward and slightly high of my usual point of aim. Maybe i'm wrong though

Or pregnant hind silhouettes