Thread: Using thermal

Using thermal

If you use good thermal does this make your binos redundant?

No thermal shows outline/shape/image which can be behind grass/bushes trees ,bino,s show if what your seeing is a Buck/Doe ,rabbit/hare and physically a safe shot imho atb
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    No thermal shows outline/shape/image which can be behind grass/bushes trees ,bino,s show if what your seeing is a Buck/Doe ,rabbit/hare and physically a safe shot imho atb
    agreed.
    TonyC

Thermal is uniquely good as a detection system, but quality of the extra information it provides is inferior to what a good telescope, pair of binos, or riflescope will deliver.

Something you can detect and locate in the thermal is often invisible in conventional optics, but of course until you can confirm the target in your riflescope you can't shoot.

Naturally, this doesn't apply when using thermal riflescopes for foxing and pest control, but unless I had a "shoot on sight" policy, I'd really want to confirm the look of a deer with conventional optics before making the decision to shoot.

That aside, one's sense of "contact" with one's quarry is different -degraded? depleted? desaturated?- when using thermal.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay