Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why should you hang a deer carcass?

why should you hang a deer carcass?

Hello, just a quick one. Why should a deer carcass be hung before being consumed? Please can someone explain to me? Cheers

IT tenderises the meat by allowing the actin and myosin fibres to relax in relation to each other.

Conversion of Muscle to Meat - Meat Science
    Last edited by srvet; 04-06-2016 at 07:14.

The down side I find that all meat when hung tastes to gamey for me.

Great link SRVET , personally myself I think the meat tests less gamey when hung .
    Longest I've hung a deer carcass was 26 days I found it very tender very tasty and not gamey . Rabbits hung for a week or more are fantastic.

It is possible to eat meat right away. Knock bambi over and carve a chunk off his back side and fry it up. Depending on how old and how stressed it was when you shot it will dictate how chewy and tasty it is. In the interests of flavour and your jaw muscles it's good to allow the meat to relax by hanging.

If you haven't got room to hang a carcass then you can break it down into quarters and chill it in fridge. I've done it this way a few times. A hanging time of 3-5 days is plenty to allow the muscle fibres to relax, I left a young doe for 24 hours and she was delicious and the last roe Buck I shot I gave him 5 days because he'd been mooching around after a doe so I imagined his testosterone and cortisol levels would have been higher so I left him longer.

Hanging meat can intesify the gamey flavour but like everything a bit of trial and error and you'll soon work out what you like. Rabbits get skinned and frozen within 24 hours, pheasants within 4 days and deer at 5 days at the minute because I haven't got the space to leave it longer. Red meat can take being hung - just look at beef the expensive cow is hung for 28days, the cheap stuff is electro stimulated straight away and cut up once the carcass has set.

All mine I hang for 21 days and red deer possibly 28 depends on how busy I am, the meat is as tender as can be!

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

If gamey meat isnt to your taste, just throw any joints into a bucket of salt water for 24hrs prior to cooking, works great
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

You could send all your "Gamey" stuff down here?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1987 View Post
    HTML Code:
    It is possible to eat meat right away. Knock bambi over and carve a chunk off his back side and fry it up.
    Depending on how old and how stressed it was when you shot it will dictate how chewy and tasty it is. In the interests of flavour and your jaw muscles it's good to allow the meat to relax by hanging.

If you haven't got room to hang a carcass then you can break it down into quarters and chill it in fridge. I've done it this way a few times. A hanging time of 3-5 days is plenty to allow the muscle fibres to relax, I left a young doe for 24 hours and she was delicious and the last roe Buck I shot I gave him 5 days because he'd been mooching around after a doe so I imagined his testosterone and cortisol levels would have been higher so I left him longer.

Hanging meat can intesify the gamey flavour but like everything a bit of trial and error and you'll soon work out what you like. Rabbits get skinned and frozen within 24 hours, pheasants within 4 days and deer at 5 days at the minute because I haven't got the space to leave it longer. Red meat can take being hung - just look at beef the expensive cow is hung for 28days, the cheap stuff is electro stimulated straight away and cut up once the carcass has set.

That's the stuff you can eat with a spoon!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

In agreement with the guys that hang for long periods. I too believe the meat is less Gamey when hung longer. I have hung grouse for 4 weeks. Ate the Younger Birds after 2 weeks. The older Birds after 4 weeks were more tender than the young Birds.