Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lapua Scenar bullets for hunting

Lapua Scenar bullets for hunting

Hi fellas,

Do you have any experience with Lapua Scenar bullets for hunting ? I'm thinking of 155gr. Scenar in 30-06 for deer. The bullet is listed as a match bullet but i've heard some guys using it also for hunting.

It's a terrible bullet for hunting !

It drills a neat calibre hole through deer.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by Konnari View Post
    The bullet is listed as a match bullet.
    There's your answer... Why not just use a hunting round??
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

the best thing to do is trim the meplat back and use a flash hole de burr tool to chamfer .this is 180 scenar modified

Quote Originally Posted by Konnari View Post
    Hi fellas,

Do you have any experience with Lapua Scenar bullets for hunting ? I'm thinking of 155gr. Scenar in 30-06 for deer. The bullet is listed as a match bullet but i've heard some guys using it also for hunting.
    No ......................... Have always used bullets designed for expansion when hunting even though the Scener bullet has been around for decades. Sierra make a HP hunting bullet available in many calibers and I used the 140 grain HPBT Game King one in .277" in the 270 rifle and it performed well.

Quote Originally Posted by triggersqueezer View Post
    the best thing to do is trim the meplat back and use a flash hole de burr tool to chamfer .this is 180 scenar modified

Can't see why doing this is worth the effort?
    Surely once modified they have lost all BC advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by triggersqueezer View Post

Do people really sit down and try and turn match bullets into hunting ones? There are plenty of proven hunting bullets out there. If this was a good idea i think Lapua might have stumbled on it by now. The wuckfits never cease to amaze me.

In .308 I shot roe ,fallow and red, I found them very good with good expansion with out excess meat damagewhich was my main reason to switch, now Im on 7mm and tried them. Didnt loose the three roe and one red but they didnt expand properly on the roe but dropped the red on the spot. Im sure that with the diameter of the 30s it works like a bludgen where with the smaller rounds it does pass through so now on nosler ballistic tips

I have found scenars to be accurate but with a substantial tendency to ricochet. I have attributed this to a hardened lead core. For this reason alone I have changed from Scenars to Amax which should be more frangible. I have never used the Scenar bullet for game and can see no earthly reason why it would be a good idea to do so.

i have not tested the lapua 180 modified yet but if like me you only shoot sub 10 deer a year probably sub 5 and you have a stunning load for these bullets then yes its might sell prove worth it.to modify that bullet took 2 mins.