Yukon scout scopes

User00023

Does anybody have any experience of Yukon Scout 'Scopes, please.

The two I have in mind can be seen here -

http://www.telescopes-binoculars.co.uk/acatalog/Monoculars_and_hand_held_scopes.html

|For the price they seem the ideal piece of kit to have handy just in case that buck of a lifetime shows up and you want to make really sure of what your getting beforehand.

EDIT...

reasonable reviews and even cheaper here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yukon-20-Scout-Spotting-Scope/dp/B000ERI8EO/ref=pd_sim_ce_6

Last edited:
I quite agree, Dan. That's why I posed the question. They are unlikely to be filled with nitrogen or to have been ground with nothing more coarse than a baby's bottom but they might be just the job for stowing away in jacket for that once in a blue moon event. I certaily wouldn't contemplate them for hill work or such like.

I still have a pair of 10x 'Panda' field glasses which I bought some 15 years or more ago for just £20. Agreed, they were cheaper than chips yet they are more than adequate for a quick check of the bird table or glassing the field opposite for foxes. I would see one of these tubes as nothing more than an occasional back up to my Leica binos.

I bought one from Evilbay to see what they were like.

To get a similar effect take a jam jar, break off the bottom, take grease, add sharp sand, rub firmly onto base - both sides- and look through. You get the picture...or rather, you don't!

Go buy a Zenit for that sort of use. They a 20x fixed and the optics are good actually Mode 3PT-460 20x. comes with a funny pistol grip handle.

I bought one from Evilbay to see what they were like.

To get a similar effect take a jam jar, break off the bottom, take grease, add sharp sand, rub firmly onto base - both sides- and look through. You get the picture...or rather, you don't!

:eek: That bad, eh? There were four ok-ish reviews on Amazon about them. Probably posted by Mr & Mrs Yukon and the two Yukon children. It was this one you bought? - http://www.yukonopticsusa.com/index.php?good=61&detail=yes

Go buy a Zenit for that sort of use. They a 20x fixed and the optics are good actually Mode 3PT-460 20x. comes with a funny pistol grip handle.

Cheers, Brit. Will follow up on that idea. The old Zenit SLRs got many an aspiring David Bailey snapping away. (its the same firm, I presume?) post edit Have checked them on the web and see they are spotting 'scopes. I was specifically lookig for a draw 'scope, but thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Last edited:
:eek: That bad, eh? There were four ok-ish reviews on Amazon about them. Probably posted by Mr & Mrs Yukon and the two Yukon children. It was this one you bought? - http://www.yukonopticsusa.com/index.php?good=61&detail=yes

Cheers, Brit. Will follow up on that idea. The old Zenit SLRs got many an aspiring David Bailey snapping away. (its the same firm, I presume?) post edit Have checked them on the web and see they are spotting 'scopes. I was specifically lookig for a draw 'scope, but thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Ahhh sorry didn't realise. You missed a Nickel Marburg on e-bay that went fairly reasonable. the other day.

Agreed about the Yukon. I bought one once, used it twice, maybe three times. It has stayed in the bottom of the wardrobe ever since. Hmmmm.... maybe I should evilbay it?

I quite agree, Dan. That's why I posed the question. They are unlikely to be filled with nitrogen or to have been ground with nothing more coarse than a baby's bottom but they might be just the job for stowing away in jacket for that once in a blue moon event. I certaily wouldn't contemplate them for hill work or such like.

I still have a pair of 10x 'Panda' field glasses which I bought some 15 years or more ago for just £20. Agreed, they were cheaper than chips yet they are more than adequate for a quick check of the bird table or glassing the field opposite for foxes. I would see one of these tubes as nothing more than an occasional back up to my Leica binos.

They cannot be nitrogen filled as you wouldn't be able to open them! No draw tube scope can be truely water/air tight for this reason. The very best (Swarovski) get over this as best they can by filtering the air that has to enter the body of the scope as it is drawn. If you really must have a draw tube for sentimental reasons then it has to be a Swarovski or Grays in my opinion. A straight eyepiece variable poroprism spotting is better in every respect except the longer draw tubes are easier to hand hold steady. JC

Back