Thread: Ruger American Predator

Ruger American Predator

I have eaten a lot of crow lately regarding the recent interruption in my 20 odd year hiatus from Ruger centerfire rifles. I still won't own a 77 series or a Mini 14, but these American series rifles, and the Precision Rifle series are a different animal and proof that Ruger has some new blood in their system. That act of contrition out of the way, I must give a quick word on the Ruger Predator 6.5 Creedmoor I picked up a couple of months back. I finally shot it tonight.

I must admit to not having done any extensive work with it on my first trip to the range -I only fired 20 rounds total- but the haste driven lack of my usual fastidious preparation and the seeming disregard the rifle had for it, is telling in itself. I used PPU 22-250 un primed brass, run through a Lee FL sizer die. I primed the cases with Federal primers, and charged the cases with 41.5 grains of H4350 and seated a Sierra 100 grn Varmint HP. That was it.

I got my scope on paper at 50 yards and before moving to the 100 yard benches, picked a bullet hole and fired three shots at it. They all went into one hole. At 100, I fired three shot groups adjusting the zero. They were clusters. With my last two rounds, at 9pm, I shot the 3/8" diameter "NRA" insignias on the upper corners of the target. The cases formed perfectly, it shoots bug hole groups with varmint bullets, and seems to function very well. Another tip of the hat to Ruger.~Muir

Muir

Rather than start up a new thread about these rifles, I thought I'd ask if you could let us know how you've gone with your Ruger Predator since the post a little over a year ago.

What prompted me to ask was takbok's post in the .22-250 thread about Boyds bringing out a stock for the American that has the "patent pending" V shaped bedding blocks, which I thought from what I'd read meant Ruger owners would be stuck with the factory stocks. But also, now I see there's a CDI aftermarket mag that will fit the Boyd's stock.

I read a couple of old reviews this evening (e.g. Sniper Central) of the Ruger American Predator and was reminded why I hated it so much when I used my mate's one in .223. It was very hard for me to get past the low quality plastic. And the mag wouldn't feed properly. Which really pissed off my mate who was already on his 2nd or 3rd mag for this rifle. But over and above all the plastic annoyances... man, could this rifle shoot... it was a one-ragged-holer straight out the box with standard handloads using 69gr Noslers and still is, mate uses it for varmints and cleans up out to 400m with regularity. And apart from being on its nth mag, its untouched. This seems to be the view from most of the reviews - its cheap, annoyingly so, but bloody accurate.

With the faster than normal twists in the factory barrels in .224 and .243 variants, its potentially an attractive but cheap starting point for a semi-custom build? Especially if weight is a concern vs a proper varmint rifle like the Savage 12s.

Do you still like yours?

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyknees View Post
    Muir

Rather than start up a new thread about these rifles, I thought I'd ask if you could let us know how you've gone with your Ruger Predator since the post a little over a year ago.

What prompted me to ask was takbok's post in the .22-250 thread about Boyds bringing out a stock for the American that has the "patent pending" V shaped bedding blocks, which I thought from what I'd read meant Ruger owners would be stuck with the factory stocks. But also, now I see there's a CDI aftermarket mag that will fit the Boyd's stock.

I read a couple of old reviews this evening (e.g. Sniper Central) of the Ruger American Predator and was reminded why I hated it so much when I used my mate's one in .223. It was very hard for me to get past the low quality plastic. And the mag wouldn't feed properly. Which really pissed off my mate who was already on his 2nd or 3rd mag for this rifle. But over and above all the plastic annoyances... man, could this rifle shoot... it was a one-ragged-holer straight out the box with standard handloads using 69gr Noslers and still is, mate uses it for varmints and cleans up out to 400m with regularity. And apart from being on its nth mag, its untouched. This seems to be the view from most of the reviews - its cheap, annoyingly so, but bloody accurate.

With the faster than normal twists in the factory barrels in .224 and .243 variants, its potentially an attractive but cheap starting point for a semi-custom build? Especially if weight is a concern vs a proper varmint rifle like the Savage 12s.

Do you still like yours?
    In a word: Yes. I actually gave my Predator 6.5 to a friend and have been thinking of replacing it ever since. I do have three ranch rifles which are simply short barreled Predators. On in 300AAC and two in 223. I have not has any feed issues with the 223's. Only when I try to use the 223 mags for 300 AAC they require a touch with a needle file to make function correctly.

On one of the web site they said that the Predator stocks are reenforced but yes, they are plastic. Frankly, on a $399 rifle that is going to see hard use, I really don't mind. The rifles are silly accurate. Both of my 223's have been worked on prairiiedogs out to 400 yards with Nosler 50 grainers.

My buddy came by yesterday with my old 6.5 Predator. He'd formed a LOT of 22-250 cases and loaded them as described in my first post. He was happy as hell but frustrated that ti was so dry out (drought) and he didn't want to drive out to the prairiedog towns.

If you want no frills accuracy then the Ruger is hard to beat.~Muir

Did your friend register his rifle witrh Ruger when he bought it? If so, and he calls them and tells them about the magazines, they will probably just send him replacements without asking for the old ones in return. THey have been doing that to guys around here. The new generation mags are supposed to be much improved.
    Last edited by Muir; 28-08-2017 at 11:58.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
    liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." -- Thomas Jefferson

That's good feedback thanks and in line with what I've seen of myself and read elsewhere. Agree we are looking at a cheap rifle but not as cheap here as it is it with you guys obviously, but in my opinion, at least in the early models of the All-Weather I saw, the plastic stock was just appalling, ridiculously flexible, the worst at that end of the market. My mate has had his replacement magazines supplied by Ruger and I gave him a call this morning and he does have a slightly different design it now and says it's much better. I don't know what they changed.

If a semi custom ends up on the way I choose to go then the Ruger American barrelled action is a definite contender. But as always I have to weigh up the overall cost benefit with what I can buy factory off-the-shelf and at the moment the Browning X-Bolt is looking very good as they are on special here. It has the right twist, thats the main thing. Its going to come down to weight though, do I want another proper varmint rifle, or a lighter carry rifle? Don't know at this stage... but if I was to place a bet... it will be the Savage 12. And once I've got that sorted, I'll do the semi custom anyway!

That's good feedback thanks and in line with what I've seen of myself and read elsewhere. Agree we are looking at a cheap rifle but not as cheap here as it is it with you guys obviously, but in my opinion, at least in the early models of the All-Weather I saw, the plastic stock was just appalling, ridiculously flexible, the worst at that end of the market. My mate has had his replacement magazines supplied by Ruger and I gave him a call this morning and he does have a slightly different design it now and says it's much better. I don't know what they changed.

If a semi custom ends up on the way I choose to go then the Ruger American barrelled action is a definite contender. But as always I have to weigh up the overall cost benefit with what I can buy factory off-the-shelf and at the moment the Browning X-Bolt is looking very good as they are on special here. It has the right twist, thats the main thing. Its going to come down to weight though, do I want another proper varmint rifle, or a lighter carry rifle? Don't know at this stage... but if I was to place a bet... it will be the Savage 12. And once I've got that sorted, I'll do the semi custom anyway!
    I am a real fan of the Rugers now that they have a fresh bit of engineering and manufacturing going on for them. The Predators / Ranch are extremely accurate rifles. I don't know if these are available over there, but, if you are thinking 22-250/243/308/ 6.5 CM, etc, this might be a fun option from Magpul. It's not yet available in 223/300.~Muir

The Reverse. $280 US with a mag and full set of cheek rest risers.
    Last edited by Muir; 28-08-2017 at 23:53.

Mmmmm, that Magpul stock puts an interesting spin on it, eh. I can imagine a Predator in .243 1:9" twist sitting in a stock like that flinging 100gr Gamekings at 3100fps... would be a lovely carry rifle cos with scope and suppressor it would likely weigh less than 9lbs.

Mmmmm, that Magpul stock puts an interesting spin on it, eh. I can imagine a Predator in .243 1:9" twist sitting in a stock like that flinging 100gr Gamekings at 3100fps... would be a lovely carry rifle cos with scope and suppressor it would likely weigh less than 9lbs.
    The 243 variant is the one rifle I haven't had any contact with -directly or indirectly. No one I know owns one. I am reminded of what one person said about the 6.5 Creedmoor Predator: "This is a $400, 1000 yard rifle." I can about vouch for that. I'm sure the 243 is like in performance.~Muir

Now that you mentioned it I don't know anyone who has a 243 Ruger American either. I have a 223 ranch, 22-250 predator, 6.5 creedmoor predator all three shoot 1/2 moa with anything I feed them. The stocks are cheap and flimsy but they get the job done. I also have a 260 remington in the predator that was a limited run very few are out there, I have not shot it yet. I have some of the magpul stocks on a few remington 700s and a 10/22, I like them a lot but wish they had a steeper angle on the grip.

I am a recent convert to the Scout rifle concept and have a Ruger Gunsite Scout (stainless/synthetic stock, .308) which is based on the 77 action. The rifle doesn't quite meet all the scout criteria but it's a superb rifle nonetheless for Roe stalking. Light (7.4 lbs scoped), handy (16" barrel) and accurate enough (shoots factory stuff within an inch at 100). The action was a little rough to start with but has got much smoother with use, it seems solid and reliable. A great gun from Ruger.