Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeving Barrels ......

Sleeving Barrels ......

Morning All a very interesting subject in its self , So I acquired a R Adams of London shotgun some time ago that is very very tired and worn, However im not going to let it go I have got a real bug about it and I WILL revive it, its a lovely hammer gun with twist metal barrels, However they are in need of sleeving, and the stock etc also needs some work, as I said I will get it done im not going to let a good gun go, ok it might not be cost effective to the guns value However it will be a little project and something id like to keep for myself , anyone know of places or people that do Barrel sleeving and how much it could cost ??. , Thanks everyone.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    You might try Teague - they re-sleeve barrels from 450 including proofing.

Barrel Improvement
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Having had teague chokes fitted to my 1870's hammer gun by Nigel Teague I wouldn't hesitate to try them first, especially as they offer a barrel lining service. This would mean that you could keep the damascus barrels but have them milled out with a steel tube fitted internally into the barrel. I own shotguns that have been sleeved in the conventional way & it's not a very pretty result.

Show us some photographs please.

Thanks Willie_Gunn, and yes McKenzie I finish work today at 8 pm ill post some up once i have finished, its not that the barrels are pitted or anything they are just pretty much out of proof I think, - Barrel lining service sounds good ....

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site and some very helpful people with some very useful info.. ... so thanks v much guys I really appreciate your info help and suggestions

Just looking a little more on line and apparently the barrel lining service is no longer available due to the failure of some bonding agent used ??
    Last edited by gamegunner; 05-06-2016 at 10:17.

Read this http://www.vintageguns.co.uk/articles/barrel-lining/ Nigel Teague does not line barrels any longer and when he did it cost 1500

Quote Originally Posted by african jack View Post
    Read this http://www.vintageguns.co.uk/articles/barrel-lining/ Nigel Teague does not line barrels any longer and when he did it cost 1500
    That's disappointing to discover; it looked like a great idea, although obviously not if it doesn't work. I didn't think the price was too bad though.

This one of mine has been sleeved conventionally. The join isn't obvious in this photograph but it is if you move it around & the light catches it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0336.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	699.5 KB 
ID:	70841
    Last edited by McKenzie; 05-06-2016 at 13:51.

Quote Originally Posted by african jack View Post
    That is disappointing.

I just checked his price list and the 450 is for chamber resleeving

A quick Google search doesn't turn up a lot of alternatives - maybe Midland Gun Services: Gunsmith Shrewsbury Shropshire|Shotguns Rifles|Gun Storage|Sleeving

Gunsmith Shrewsbury Shropshire|Shotguns Rifles|Gun Storage|Sleeving

Norman Clark: Norman Clark Gunsmiths

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    That's disappointing to discover; it looked like a great idea, although obviously not if it doesn't work. I didn't think the price was too bad though.

This one of mine has been sleeved conventionally. The join isn't obvious in this photograph but it is if you move it around & the light catches it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0336.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	699.5 KB 
ID:	70841
    A very pretty gun

If you were to ask Artisan forge on this site he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.