Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using fire formed from another gun / general noob

Using fire formed from another gun / general noob

Hi guys,

please forgive me if these are blindingly stupid questions, but I would prefer to ask than find out the hard way.
    i have this week started reloading and had a cracking weekend working out loads. My reloading kit is just the classic Lee loader but with that, 35.3gr of IMR 4064 and 87gr Vmax I am getting .4 inch groups at 3025fts. As the gun is new to me I haven't actually shot it before working up the loads so I am happy this far.

along with the gun I picked up some fire formed ppu brass which I have used to build up my loads. So finally onto the questions.

1. Can I use brass that has been fireformed in another chamber ?(cz 601zkk)
    2. I have also been given some once fired ppu that has been fully resized. Will this differ much from using the fire formed, necked only?.
    3. What difference should I expect if I changed my brass to say Norma ? ( that is probably too big a question), feel free to answer "many you idiot".
    4. As I have been using fireformed and necked brass. Would my load behave differently with new brass?.

thanks for any advice 😃

Quote Originally Posted by JamieDenny View Post
    Hi guys,

please forgive me if these are blindingly stupid questions, but I would prefer to ask than find out the hard way.
    i have this week started reloading and had a cracking weekend working out loads. My reloading kit is just the classic Lee loader but with that, 35.3gr of IMR 4064 and 87gr Vmax I am getting .4 inch groups at 3025fts. As the gun is new to me I haven't actually shot it before working up the loads so I am happy this far.

along with the gun I picked up some fire formed ppu brass which I have used to build up my loads. So finally onto the questions.

1. Can I use brass that has been fireformed in another chamber ?(cz 601zkk)
    It may or may not allow the bolt to close. You should always full length resize a case that has been fired in another rifle.
    2. I have also been given some once fired ppu that has been fully resized. Will this differ much from using the fire formed, necked only?.
    It would probably make a difference but don't use the fire formed cases until you have full length resized them.
    3. What difference should I expect if I changed my brass to say Norma ? ( that is probably too big a question), feel free to answer "many you idiot".
    Not a daft question at all. When you change any component, including brand of brass, you should start low and work up again. Change of brand or new/fired may turn out to make little difference, however one can never be sure, so start low and work up.
    4. As I have been using fireformed and necked brass. Would my load behave differently with new brass?.
    It will most likely make a difference, advice as above applies.
    thanks for any advice 
    Good luck and always err on the side of caution.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

That is great,

thanks for clearing up my questions, I had an idea the general answer was don't use anything else than your fire formed stuff.

looking at what info I can find 3025 seems like a respectable speed. I worked up expecting 37gr to be the optimum load (looking at all the other threads on this site and others). But at 35.6 the cases showed signs of pressure and were difficult to extract. I assume others had a different coal allowing higher grain.

it does feel odd being able to hear the powder rattle in the case, so used to factory ammo.

I neck size once fired brass that I've bought of others in my rifle. As long as it chambers in your rifle you wont have a problem. If it's already been resized by someone else it may have excessive headspace which can mean that you will see signs of high pressures with the same charge compared to your existing loads.

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    I neck size once fired brass that I've bought of others in my rifle. As long as it chambers in your rifle you wont have a problem. If it's already been resized by someone else it may have excessive headspace which can mean that you will see signs of high pressures with the same charge compared to your existing loads.
    that is interesting, did you see much difference in poi or group size ?. Would be great as I have loads shot once from my previous cz .243

Lee Classic Loader + Someone else's brass.= if it fits in the chamber it's good to shoot. This is in the instructions.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by JamieDenny View Post
    that is interesting, did you see much difference in poi or group size ?. Would be great as I have loads shot once from my previous cz .243
    I've never really used factory ammo in these rifles so I wouldn't know if there's a difference - just bought once fired brass and reloaded. I can easily get below 1" groups at 100m with both my .222 & .270 with these reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Lee Classic Loader + Someone else's brass.= if it fits in the chamber it's good to shoot. This is in the instructions.~Muir
    Thanks, you seem to be somewhat of an Oracle on here !

Sadly no instructions supplied, which did lead to much entertainment and watching of youtube.

I'll neck a case and see if it chambers. Even if the groups open up a little it will still be suitable. Time for more testing