Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting parallax

Adjusting parallax

Has anybody here altered the parallax of a none adjusting scope?
    I wish to use a full bore Meopta scope on a rimfire so really need to change the setting, without spoiling a mint scope, so that close targets are in focus. Naturally I don't want to lose the Nitrogen purge or damage anything.

Any help, suggestions or links appreciated, Thanks.

Use a lower magnification and parallax is far less of an issue.

have done the other way
    bought a scope that had been used on an air rifle and put it back to 100yds

you can DIY with trial and error or pay any decent camera or scope fixer to do it

usually a simple process of adjusting the objective lens retaining ring and winding in or out to adjust the parallax to where you want
    worth having a clear target set out to test as you go (static scope, moving head until reticule target stops moving)

Yes but it depends on how the scope was put together can you unscrew the Objective lens cover if so you should be able to screw the Objective lens in and out to change the paralax
    however some makes are glued on so not easy or impossible to get teh cover off without ruining the scope

others its easy and quick

Quote Originally Posted by eldon View Post
    Has anybody here altered the parallax of a none adjusting scope?
    I wish to use a full bore Meopta scope on a rimfire so really need to change the setting, without spoiling a mint scope, so that close targets are in focus. Naturally I don't want to lose the Nitrogen purge or damage anything.

Any help, suggestions or links appreciated, Thanks.
    Normally the scope would have to go back to the manufacturer to have it adjusted. Please bear in mind that there will be a trade off. You will lose something further out, example would be that a scope set at 100m could be reduced to say 20m but will only focus out to 75m max ( example of trade off, not the actual distance).

How close do you want to take the scope?

Have a Meopta 6x42 on my Brno. Shoots little tiny groups all day long at 30, 40, 50, 60 , 70 and 100 yards. Never worried about parralex issues. Just make sure you have a good cheek weld and technique. I would nt mess with a good scope. If you are really concerned then get an adjustable scope, but that's probably more faff than necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Have a Meopta 6x42 on my Brno. Shoots little tiny groups all day long at 30, 40, 50, 60 , 70 and 100 yards. Never worried about parralex issues. Just make sure you have a good cheek weld and technique. I would nt mess with a good scope. If you are really concerned then get an adjustable scope, but that's probably more faff than necessary.

if the Cover isnt glued on its a fairly simple job and all your doing is adjusting the lens a PA ajustable scope does but they haven't fitted the Bezel for a fixed parallax wont make much difference for centerfire on deer at the close ranges but can be a complete miss (1-2" either way) on a rabbit head for Rimfire / airgun .

was a common practice for airguns before the now large range available and pre set lower PA distances for them

Please bear in mind if your scope has been nitrogen purged or filled you will possibly let the gas escape if you break or disturb any seals. If it is fro a rim fire (not saying they don't deserve a decent scope) but a s/h cheapy like a MTC Mabam lite I bought for 100 would be the best route, could end up ruining one decent scope and if not sure what the cost would be to having done professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    Use a lower magnification and parallax is far less of an issue.
    Its a fixed mag 6 x 42

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Yes this is the same set up I'm trying to achieve but for me the near target focus isn't right, hence I assume it is the parallax I'm seeing. The reticle is focused against the sky and is properly in focus at any range.