Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday rental for next summer.

Holiday rental for next summer.

It is coming to that time of year again when our thoughts start to turn to the holiday season for 2017, no seriously. In recent years demand for accommodation has been high and Dollag's Cottage could be booked 10 times over and the peak holiday weeks are often booked by September of the previous year with most of the rest of the summer weeks gone by the end of December.

So, if you are thinking about a holiday location for 2017 then take a look at the cottage web site for lots of ideas of things to do in the area, plus lots of photos and info on the cottage:

Dollag's Cottage at 7 South Shawbost

The cottage is open all year but the main holiday season, in terms of demand, seems to run from the start of April through to the end of October. The cottage is located on the West Side of the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides and is a few minutes walk from a sandy beach and surrounded by fishing for trout, sea trout and salmon. If you've seen the Katie Morag TV programme then you've seen the area around the cottage as all the location material was shot within the area around the cottage. As the cottage is on a working croft dogs or other pets are not allowed.

I could write pages of stuff but instead here are a few photos, I'd guess that with one look at them you will know if it is for you or not :-)

For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Looks lovely , it's a shame you don't allow dogs.
    Cheers, Scott

Quote Originally Posted by fordbank View Post
    Looks lovely , it's a shame you don't allow dogs. Cheers, Scott
    One up on that.
    We never go anywhere without our dog and I have noticed that on many occassions my dog and sometimes even other, on holiday dogs, have been more well behaved than some small adults !!

Were they not considering allowing dogs a while ago?
    I would be very interested but where I go, my dogs go.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Were they not considering allowing dogs a while ago?
    I would be very interested but where I go, my dogs go.

+1

I think your using the wrong site, we're nearly all dog owners, so no dogs not bookings
    Kind Regards
    Cranhill

Quote Originally Posted by Cranhill View Post
    I think your using the wrong site, we're nearly all dog owners, so no dogs not bookings
    I reckon there are probably two types of dog owners on this site.
    I think Cranhill is referring to owners of working dogs and they are always well trained and obediant to a T, not always clean as they tend to get suck in but on holiday that would probably be different .
    Whether the owners of such dogs would want to take them on holiday with them would depend on the Boss/Wife/Partner and if they did then it is unlikely they would be a problem.
    Then there are the type of dog owners like me.
    I am long in the toothe and would never be able to keep up with a working dog so when I retired and my working dogs 'expired' we missed the company so my wife chose one as a companion !
    Our dog is so mollycoddled it makes me jealous and left out of our 50+ year marriage ;-)
    The point I am trying to make is that the people that would want to take their dogs on holiday with them are the type that would have a dog that wouldn't be a problem and are probably better behaved than some 'little grown-ups'

Would love to go there for some fishing but not without my well behaved and always on lead dogs

I'm in the "my dog comes too" camp as well. But, as caorach says in the first post, take-up seems to be pretty brisk so perhaps the possibility of a dog chasing sheep all over creation (however small) and the cleaning up after a dog that sheds it's own body weight in hair every day is just agro that can be avoided without much or any financial penalty.

Shame, though.

Some places have a surcharge of between 20 and 40 a period to cover the extra electric needed for the longer duration of the use of the vacuum cleaner to lift shed dog hairs ;-)