Thread: Fishing on the River Dart

Fishing on the River Dart

I only manage to fish once or twice a season, but hope to have a day on the River Dart (near Two Bridges Hotel) in a couple of weeks time. I've never fished there before; any any recommendations for flies etc. would be appreciated.

What are you fishing for?
    I have just got home from the Teign.....Sea Trout in the fridge.
    Cheers
    Richard

Richard, it will trout. Sea trout and salmon are both on my bucket list though. All the best, Rupert

I used to fish a section of the Dart near a bridge where the road bends 90o's and with a pub on the corner. Sorry I was 11 at the time, dont remember th exact location. Watched a local catch 4 of the biggest sea trout from under the bridge - 3/4 lbs each?. Maybe 200 yds downstream was a line of v old stepping stones. We used to spear fish for flatfish from the stones upstream to the pub. One fantastic day I caught 4 plaice all about 2/3 lbs average weight. Lots of flounders and dabs caught by the stones as the tide fell.
    I have to admit it was 50 years ago but a really great memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    Richard, it will trout. Sea trout and salmon are both on my bucket list though. All the best, Rupert
    OK, the fish are small and very wily, but very catchable.
    Think small, black gnats, griffiths gnat's, parachute adams, elk hair caddis, balloon caddis, pheasant tails bead head nymphs, all between 16-18, gnats down to 22.
    Small ant imitations as well.
    I did a night out last year, started where you are staying and fished upstream.
    Have a good time.
    East Dart 25th/26th July - Fly Fishing Forums
    Cheers
    Richard

As Richard said. V. small flies presented lightly (2/3 wt rod?). In my experience, matching the hatch doesn't really matter. They'll try anything ONCE. If you miss them, they'll not look again at it, but change the fly and you might have a chance. Not fussy, but fast learners. A beautiful stretch up there. I saw an otter on it two years ago. Have a great day.

Thanks for the replies. I'll stock up on the suggested flies and let you know how I get on.