6.5 mm Creedmoor Reloading advise needed

Or just go for a 260Rem or 6.5x55 etc. all much the same accuracy wise and factory ammo and cases etc. are more easily available.

Just an observation on youtube, though the guy on youtube made it look simple. I appreciate that things are not always as they appear.
I'm new to reloading so trying to gather information as I go .However the 6.5CM is a real contender when I have my 243 rebarreled so I might give it a go with the spare brass . Nothing to lose but a bit of time .
Cheers

Managed to post twice ,thought I'd lost the first one. Anyway, the 260 was my original thought but the 6.5CM was my other based on it being easy to load.It would be one or the other and it will have to be short action . Still a while before I have to decide .I notice you shoot both so your opinion certainly be of interest to me.

There's not a lot to choose between them :)

I think, (knowing what I know now) that if I didn't have either and was buying one that while the Ruger looks nice and shoots well out of the box a Tikka T3 or T3x will do exactly the same job for about £400-£500 less. Add a chassis of your choice (MDT LSS?) and you have a very accurate, high quality, well proven rifle.

Calibre wise the 260 Rem ticks all the boxes (as does the 308 out to about 600yds), if you can't get cases then re-forming 243 or even 308 will do the job, my son shot a box of re-formed 243 on Sunday and easily got 1" groups, and that was while the cases were fire forming, they should be more consistent next shoot so I'd expect it to shoot even better (I know it will do 1/2MOA or better).

Thanks. It's always good to hear a perspective from those with hands on experience.
I have a 270 for deer ,it's not my favourite rifle but was bought for deer . My 243 on the other hand is sweet to shoot but getting tired so I just fancied a change . A 6.5 of some kind has really captured my interest and imagination. It would appear that I won't be disappointed with either.
Regards

It's amazing that people will trust some digital source more than proven data from the people that manufacture factory ammo and well known handloaders that give them proven load data,
or are too lazy to do their own load development, the modern age I guess they want it all done for them.

It's amazing that people will trust some digital source more than proven data from the people that manufacture factory ammo and well known handloaders that give them proven load data,
or are too lazy to do their own load development, the modern age I guess they want it all done for them.
I've been beating that tambourine for years....On another forum people were saying that Hodgdon's powder data was too far away from Quick Loads recommendation to be considered reliable. (WTF??)~Muir

Muir,
Do you have a pic of the "New 6.5 Creedmoor 140 gr ELD Match" ammunition by any chance that includes the factory load data?
[h=1][/h]

Muir,
Do you have a pic of the "New 6.5 Creedmoor 140 gr ELD Match" ammunition by any chance that includes the factory load data?
They stopped putting it on the boxes, I'm told. The data would be no different than that of the A-Max.
This load has been used so successfully it's hard to refute it.~Muir
81494.jpg

I need a bit more advise. I attemped to FL resize some of the cases on Sunday, lubed outside and inside neck and they were increddibly tight when putting them through the correctly adjusted die. In fact don't think my Lee anniversary press was up to it. On 2 cases the shoulders were deformed, in that they were sligtly pushed in. I checked that the die was not over lubbed and it was not. Whats going wrong?

We resorted to neck sizing and that was fine and the cases did not require trimming.

Any suggestion would be helpful.

Regards

D

What dies are you using Cyres? i had rcbs in a few calibres and hate them as they snagged the case neck on way out. really har work. i have gone back to the lee dies and i just make new mandrels to get the neck tension im after

what are the cases. i use 308 lapua that i take my time with and form into 6.5cm. i turn the necks to fit chamber size rather than having a small cartridge, 243, 22-250, opened up and be sloppy with loads of spring movement. yes, small is easy but it over works the case neck and you dont know what side of the case has stretched, it will not stretch uniformly. one side will be thicker that the other with gives an inconsistent neck tension.

try backing your die back a half turn and see it that helps. make sure the case will chamber after though. you can go the other way and wind the die out 2 turns, or until it will not chamber and then 1/4 turn at a time until it does chamber then give it an 1/4 turn more and test with fresh case.

just sat here thinking and rambling. if i remember rightly, you have a rpr. check to see how much the case body is exspanding, measure a new case against a fired case. some of the rpr's have a sloppy chamber. this will add a load of pressure to the resizing. i got around it with lanoline fat rather than my normal lanoline oil. just adds a better lube to the case but its messy so more clean up is needed after.

He says once fired Hornady factory brass, can't see why they would have any problem pushing the necks down unless the die has problems, oversized or rough expander etc. Try resizing them with the expander removed and see how they go.

What lube are you using?, if you're only lubing the necks you need to lube the case body as well. There's no way any press should have problems FLS fired brass, the Anniversary kit has the O ring press, that should go through them like a knife through hot butter!.

He says once fired Hornady factory brass, can't see why they would have any problem pushing the necks down unless the die has problems, oversized or rough expander etc. Try resizing them with the expander removed and see how they go.

What lube are you using?, if you're only lubing the necks you need to lube the case body as well. There's no way any press should have problems FLS fired brass, the Anniversary kit has the O ring press, that should go through them like a knife through hot butter!.

i did look but couldnt find the cases used. i would be looking at the dies to in this case, as you say, take the expander out and see what happens

case blow does cause a problem as i found first hand with rcbs dies and rpr. i switched to lee and lanolin and it sorted the problem. this was the O'press. i ended up having to make new metal quick release plates for the press. but them i was ramming 308 cases in the 6.5cm dies so that could have contributed to the problems i was having.

I re-formed a load of 308 and 243 into 6.5C using a Lee Breech Lock Challenger press, not a lot of effort at all using Lee dies and RCBS Case Slick Spray, it's really good stuff :D

Back