Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 200

Thread: Rebarrel

  1. #1

    Rebarrel

    Can anyone give a rough price on a sako 85 rebarrel

    Equiring out of interest
    Thanks all

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker39 View Post
    Can anyone give a rough price on a sako 85 rebarrel

    Equiring out of interest
    Thanks all
    Presume its the same as any rebarrel.... from 300-800 depending on who you use and what barrel you chose.

  3. #3
    Some will charge quite a bit more because they don't want to use, in their opinion, inferior barrels !!
    I had a Bergara barrel fitted at a third of the price quoted by another well known smith and can't fault it yet, but don't expect it to be faulty in my life time !!
    I don't know what part of South means in your avator but if you are south of Scotland then James at Jager SA does a good job at a good price and lives in the Essex area, I think, which is South also if you are talking South of Scotland, so you may be able to pop in and see him.

  4. #4
    Neil McKillop aka dasherman would be my first port of call. He keeps a good stock of barrels in all the time.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Neil McKillop aka dasherman would be my first port of call. He keeps a good stock of barrels in all the time.
    He doesn't rate Bergara barrels so expect to pay a lot more for the ones he does have.

  6. #6
    SD Regular bobjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tidworth/on here/or at Downton Abbey.
    Posts
    8,835
    Blog Entries
    5
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Neil McKillop aka dasherman would be my first port of call. He keeps a good stock of barrels in all the time.
    you pay for what you get, and IMO: Neil is one of the best builders I have come across.

    and i don't mind paying his prices as he does what you ask for and suffers no fools.

    full respect for the man.

    bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

    Living with Lupus - YouTube

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    He doesn't rate Bergara barrels so expect to pay a lot more for the ones he does have.
    I don't rate Bergara barrels because 1) the few I have fitted (supplied by customer) were very eccentric bore to outside and 2) they have a very limited range of caliber's/twist rates/profiles.
    I've found that keeping several makes of barrels is pointless as 99% of people will choose the more expensive of the ones you have and the other 1% live in Amesbury

  8. #8
    Most of the riflesmiths are very good craftsmen of similar ability, the only thing that varies is the price of the items required.
    I'm not so well off as some on here so not in a position to just order what I want so have to shop around.
    I see no point in spending more money just to get a well known piece of equipment when another not so well known piece will do the job required for half the price.
    Bergara can't be too bad as they now have their own rifles on the market and and are proving quite popular also your mate Bob bought one and, being a canny Scot, he doesn't waste money.
    Perhaps the ones lioving in Amesbury are a wee bit canny too.
    I've no idea where the requirement to suffer fools comes in, maybe an extra ;-)
    Last edited by EMcC; 12-06-2016 at 23:02.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Most of the riflesmiths are very good craftsmen of similar ability, the only thing that varies is the price of the items required.
    I'm not so well off as some on here so not in a position to just order what I want so have to shop around.
    I see no point in spending more money just to get a well known piece of equipment when another not so well known piece will do the job required for half the price.
    Bergara can't be too bad as they now have their own rifles on the market and and are proving quite popular also your mate Bob bought one and, being a canny Scot, he doesn't waste money.
    Perhaps the ones lioving in Amesbury are a wee bit canny too.
    I've no idea where the requirement to suffer fools comes in, maybe an extra ;-)
    I cannot comment on Bob's buying habits but his Begara is already up for sale and he's never had a re barrel or had a rifle built by me. To the original poster, you will get prices ranging from 550- 850, the difference is between the people who are doing it full time, paying for a unit with business rates/power/insurance and vat registered, and the ones who are part time, doing it in their shed, have no business insurance and are not declaring it. The other difference is that the full time ones will most likely have a stock of barrels on the shelf ready to fit rather than having to wait while they source you a suitable barrel.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    you pay for what you get, and IMO: Neil is one of the best builders I have come across.
    and i don't mind paying his prices as he does what you ask for and suffers no fools.
    Quote Originally Posted by dasherman View Post
    I cannot comment on Bob's buying habits but his Bergara is already up for sale and he's never had a re barrel or had a rifle built by me.

    Something doesn't add up there then......

Similar Threads

  1. Rebarrel cost
    By gixer1 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 24-01-2014, 21:16
  2. Rebarrel contour
    By bk in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 21-09-2013, 14:30
  3. rebarrel
    By swarovski in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17-08-2013, 13:12
  4. rebarrel
    By quiteman in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24-11-2012, 23:40
  5. rebarrel
    By discovery in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-09-2010, 20:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •