Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7x57

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north

7x57

I've decided I want to have a 7x57 again.... I currently have a tikka m695 left hand in 270 sat in a mcmillan stock which I find very comfortable to shoot. I've been considering having it rebarrelled into 7x57 but I'd like a light weight stainless sorter barrel as it's not for range work at all but for stalking.
    Now the thing is.... I've seen a ruger m77 in left hand with a stainless barrel in my caliber of choice for less money than a rebarrell. BUT I will have to scope it and hope to find an after market stock at some point.
    I could sell the tikka and put the funds towards the ruger stock etc and just stick with that one rifle or I could just get the tikka rebarrelled...
    Do I risk buying a second hand rifle for a hundred quid or so less than a barrel job or do I get the tikka done? Or is there anyone out there with my dream rifle a heym sr30 straight pull in left hand 7x57 who wants a 270!? Lol

If anyone knows of an aftermarket synthetic left handed long action ruger m77 stock for sale..... could help my decision!

Rebarrel the Tikka. I would avoid that Ruger as their quality has see-sawed back and forth over the decades. Some of the stainless Rugers i've rebarreled had the roughest (machining) bores I've ever seen.JMHO~Muir

SD Regular
    Hi Muir

The ruger I've seen advertised is one that's been rebarrelled with a stainless barrel, I haven't found out any details yet as I'm still deciding which route to take.. I've emailed my local rifle smith to see what he can do regarding tikka rebarrell.....
    Last edited by monarman; 08-06-2016 at 14:57. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by monarman View Post
    I've decided I want to have a 7x57 again.... I currently have a tikka m695 left hand in 270 sat in a mcmillan stock which I find very comfortable to shoot. I've been considering having it rebarrelled into 7x57 but I'd like a light weight stainless sorter barrel as it's not for range work at all but for stalking.
    Now the thing is.... I've seen a ruger m77 in left hand with a stainless barrel in my caliber of choice for less money than a rebarrell. BUT I will have to scope it and hope to find an after market stock at some point.
    I could sell the tikka and put the funds towards the ruger stock etc and just stick with that one rifle or I could just get the tikka rebarrelled...
    Do I risk buying a second hand rifle for a hundred quid or so less than a barrel job or do I get the tikka done? Or is there anyone out there with my dream rifle a heym sr30 straight pull in left hand 7x57 who wants a 270!? Lol

If anyone knows of an aftermarket synthetic left handed long action ruger m77 stock for sale..... could help my decision!
    If your current 270 shoots well why bother swapping barrel for a 7x57 - not a lot that one will do that the other wont.

I would however have a look around for left handed Heym SR20 or 21s in 7x57 - there are a few around.

SD Regular
    I find the 7x57s recoiling characteristics nicer than the 270.... and as I don't shoot at distances further than 150 yards (I am a stalker after all ) I don't need the extra oomf that the 270 supplies. I've had a 7x57 before and liked how it shot and I used a friends heym sr30 a few years ago and really liked how it killed deer... no damage and fell to the shot.

I'm a big fan of the 7X57 myself . I've got to agree with Muir , rebarrel the Tikka . I'm in the process of getting a McMillan stock for one of the guys on SD , apparently no one sells them there anymore or they're difficult to get . By the time it gets there , it'll be about an $ 800 CDN hit . You already have the Tikka , a good action , and you can order any barrel contour you want . It's a personal thing I guess , but I'd take the 695 over a M77 any day , and I have owned and used both . Hope this helps .

AB

SD Regular
    I've heard back from 'my smith' and have got a rough price and turnaround time for the tikka rebarrell. . I will go and discuss it in person in a few days.. but it's looking more likely I'll take the barrel route because as you say... the ruger is an unknown rifle and may not be great, and as I already have a rifle I'm familiar with (although for some reason heavier than I like ) and with a mcmillan stock that is now like hens teeth..

My last 7x57 was a mauser titan which shot very well using 120 ballistic tips behind H414..... but had a horrible bolt which was hard to lift on the coking stroke... it was nice and light and left handed! Originally imported from texas.

My last 7X57 was , ironically , a Ruger No 1 Light weight sporter . It was one of " those " rifles , it didn't care what bullet you put in it . It would keep five shots of anything inside an inch and a half at 100 yards , and some loads , under an inch . I gave it to my late father for his birthday , more years ago than I care to remember . I want to put another 7X57 together , but I have a 7/08 that shoots really well , so it's on the back burner for now . I think that your 695 in 7 mauser would make a great hunting rig , on either side of the pond . My dad took one of the heaviest Moose I've seen around here ( 1200 pounds ) with a Nosler 160 gr partition at about 40 yards , we called him in . One shot , he went about 20 yards and dropped , which is what Moose do if you shoot them with anything , including a 375 H&H ( which I have done lol )
    Finn Agaard , one of my favorite writers , rated the 7X57 very highly , I have to agree with him .
    Keep us posted on your build .

AB

Quote Originally Posted by monarman View Post
    I find the 7x57s recoiling characteristics nicer than the 270.... and as I don't shoot at distances further than 150 yards (I am a stalker after all ) I don't need the extra oomf that the 270 supplies. I've had a 7x57 before and liked how it shot and I used a friends heym sr30 a few years ago and really liked how it killed deer... no damage and fell to the shot.
    Assuming you reload, get some 140gr BTSP's in .277", load them over a mild charge - 51grs of N160 works. Hey presto, you just turned your 270 into a 7x57.

I just saved you 700.

You can thank me later.....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Stop faffing around and get it blxxxxdy done nearly two years you've been humming and arrrring just get it done fallow season will soon be on us regards SDM

PS JONAH LOL
    Logic will get you from A to B DEERSTALKING will take you everywhere