Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please swedish mauser 6.5x55

Advice please swedish mauser 6.5x55

I recently brought a very nice looking mauser 6.5. after firing 20+ factory ppu rounds the fore sight moved, it was held on with super glue.

I asked on line for anyone who had a spare and a forum member sent me one.
    Much my surprise and pleasure it zeroed first time at 100 m. with factory ammo
    Now the advice bit I wish to load my own reloads to save on cost I have been advised not to go down the c.o.l rout but to just reload using different load of powder ( I will be using viht n160) will I notice a lot of difference by increasing the amount of powder at 3rd of a gram a time or would a bigger amount be better, I will zero at 100m over the with original Swedish military sight.
    thank you for your help.

I would try the recommended COL in the reloading manual and work up in 1gr increments (just over 2% of starting load, as recommended in some manuals). Stick within the Swedish Mauser Viht data, not the higher pressure SE/SKAN data with the old rifle.

I would try to load so the base of the bullet is level with the base of the neck of the case. From what I have seen bullets in weights from 120 gains and 140 grains in spitzer form shoot well like this if I remember right Reloader 19 and H4350 produced good results with these weights.
    Last edited by Conure; 08-06-2016 at 19:20.

Don't know where you have got your advice from? But you should check COL as well as all the other dimensions of cases before reloading. There is a good description of the reloading process on here under the reloading section I think. Do a bit of reading and make sure you understand the reason why you should carry out all the processes. Ensure you understand the difference between grains and grams etc. It's pretty easy really but simple errors can cause terrible accuracy problems not to mention very bad experiences if you make serious errors.

I assume you're talking about a Swedish military Mauser M1894, M1896, or M1938 here? If so, the bullet is still well off the lands at the standard COAL of 80mm / 3.150" even if the rifle has never been fired, and even more so with some past use and bit of throat erosion. Use a bullet that is happy with an enormous amount of jump. An excellent choice for this cartridge and range shooting is the 140gn Sierra MatchKing. Check that loaded rounds are within the magazine length and don't catch on the front wall.

So far as powder goes, your N160 is an excellent choice and Viht lists a max load of 46.7gn with the 140 SMK (but only 41.2gn with the 139gn Lapua Scenar - and over many years of using both I've never seen any great differences in MVs or pressures in this cartridge. There are rather a lot of such oddities in Viht data!) Anyway start at 41.5gn and work up in 0.4gn steps to 44gn and stop there as that's likely producing enough pressure for a 100 plus year old rifle. You'll likely find some charge weight between 42.5 and 44gn that will shoot very well indeed and use that.

Don't buy PPU or S&B FMJ bullets if you want to really see what the rifle and cartridge can do. It's not that they are really bad, it's just the Sierras are so good in relative terms.

Incidentally when you talk about third of a gram steps, I hope you mean grain! Third of a gram is a lot in powder charge weight terms!
    Last edited by Laurie; 08-06-2016 at 21:24.

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Don't know where you have got your advice from? But you should check COL as well as all the other dimensions of cases before reloading. There is a good description of the reloading process on here under the reloading section I think. Do a bit of reading and make sure you understand the reason why you should carry out all the processes. Ensure you understand the difference between grains and grams etc. It's pretty easy really but simple errors can cause terrible accuracy problems not to mention very bad experiences if you make serious errors.
    As Laurie says, you won't come close to the lands even in an unfired rifle with the Swedish Mauser military chamber. I have 15 of them and they will swallow a 160 grain RN when seated to recommended overall length. A custom chamber may be something else, but a Swedish Mauser is generous in both throat dimension and groove dimension. (As a competition cast bullet shooter I have slugged many Swedes and found them to be as large as .268 inches. This made fitting a cast bullet a nightmare unless you had a custom mold cut.) I have a modern Commercial 98 Mauser that I barreled in 6.5x55 with the standard throat reamer so that i could use 160 grain bullets if I had the want. My most accurate bullet to date is the PPU 120 grain BTHP Match -which i don't think is readily available in the UK. It will shoot bug holes. The Sierra 140 Game King is also extremely accurate and effective on game. Seat to recommended OAL and shoot. No fuss.~Muir

Interesting comment on groove size ..................................... does anyone happen to know what the design specs for the Swedish round and barrels are?

Wondering as there was a discussion on the 6.5mm Mannlicher barrels I read and it seems that most of those have grooves of 0.268" and the suggestion that Steyr had made them all wrong was rather daft really. This disccusion also goes on about the 9.3x57 Husky rifles as they seem to have deep rifling grooves. Was reading a discussion of shooting cast bullets through them only the other week. The question then is who decided that rifling grooves should only be "X" amount deep?

If I remember right the Lee Enfield has deep rifling grooves that are also tapered so deeper at the breech than the muzzle. There was a talk/presentation on the Lee Enfield at a Bisley show one year that I went to and some snippets remain.

Thank you all for your help. yes it was a dyslexic moment I meant grains.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    As Laurie says, you won't come close to the lands even in an unfired rifle with the Swedish Mauser military chamber. I have 15 of them and they will swallow a 160 grain RN when seated to recommended overall length. A custom chamber may be something else, but a Swedish Mauser is generous in both throat dimension and groove dimension. (As a competition cast bullet shooter I have slugged many Swedes and found them to be as large as .268 inches. This made fitting a cast bullet a nightmare unless you had a custom mold cut.) I have a modern Commercial 98 Mauser that I barreled in 6.5x55 with the standard throat reamer so that i could use 160 grain bullets if I had the want. My most accurate bullet to date is the PPU 120 grain BTHP Match -which i don't think is readily available in the UK. It will shoot bug holes. The Sierra 140 Game King is also extremely accurate and effective on game. Seat to recommended OAL and shoot. No fuss.~Muir
    Interesting isn't it. It is a really accurate round without all this seating 3/4 of a fully grown gnats off the lands stuff.

David.

Many of my friends 55's shoot better way off the lands 200thou plus....I am led to believe it's due to the nature of a long throat in the chamber. In short they load at sammi specs and unlike my 7-08 and 308 that shoot best 15 though off they prefer a good "jump"