Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not BASC Bashing

Not BASC Bashing

BASC is now committed (apparently) to argue that clause 81 concerns are valid sic. Would be interesting to hear why the change of heart after suggesting it wasnt necessary ?

Clause 81: BASC now supports amendments to Policing and Crime Bill

Leave a reply
    14 April 2016 – The British Association for Shooting and Conservation now wants the controversial Clause 81 of the Policing and Crime Bill to be amended to include shooting organisations.
    Last week UK Shooting News reported that the clause, as drafted, puts a duty on the Home Secretary to consult the police – and only the police – on changes to the Home Office Guidance on Firearms Law. Other clauses in the bill will make the guidance legally binding on police.
    This week the Scottish Association for Country Sports said there was nothing to worry aboutand that shooting organisations would still be consulted on changes, via the police Firearms and Explosive Licensing Working Group (FELWG)’s practitioner working group.
    Now BASC has announced that it is actively seeking changes to Clause 81. From documents issued earlier today by the association, we learn:
    At subsection 5 to this clause [81], the Home Secretary is required to consult the National Police Chiefs’ Council and the chief constable of the Police Service of Scotland before issuing guidance. BASC asserts that this duty should be extended to shooting stakeholders. The Home Office routinely draws upon the shooting community’s expertise already by asking for comments on each new tranche of its guidance. This arrangement ought to be formalised.
    It continues:
    No indication is given about enforcement to ensure compliance. This could lead to delays in decisions being made. Certificate holders need to have access to balanced, independent decision makers e.g. the judiciary. No mention is made of any such mechanism.
    There are a raft of other changes BASC suggests which go into detail, relating to the other firearms clauses in the bill. These include a recommendation that Home Office club approval should apply to all section 1 firearms, not just rifles and muzzle-loading pistols, and that the proposed airgun power limit be raised to 3 joules, as reflects the evidence available on lethality.
    The full BASC submission can be read here (PDF)

A State where only the police have guns, is a Police State. I think this might be what some of the police want.

Kes starting a thread entitled Not BASC Bashing . Reminds me or the fable of 'The Fox and the Scorpion'
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Kes I don't know if you realise but Gazza the journalist who operates the UK Shooting News website isn't entirely unbiased when it comes to BASC. From previous communications it would appear that BASC did not show him the respect that he thought that he deserved when once requesting information from them.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Kes I don't know if you realise but Gazza the journalist who operates the UK Shooting News website isn't entirely unbiased when it comes to BASC. From previous communications it would appear that BASC did not show him the respect that he thought that he deserved when once requesting information from them.
    Now I find that hard to believe although I have heard a BASC representative suggest their view was 'non-conforming' ! more power to his elbow since this is a simple fact really - they have changed their minds.

I simply asked, why, after suggesting the concern over clause 81 was alarmist, they have seemingly become 'alarmed'.
    P.S. Not heard the one about the 'fox and the scorpion', will it ruin my day ?

Do you have a link to the "BASC announcement" please, nothing on the website

Quote Originally Posted by Akeld View Post
    Do you have a link to the "BASC announcement" please, nothing on the website
    As far as I know BASC have not commented formally (press statement), just sent a formal response to the government on the relevant legislation. I could be wrong. The article quoted above has a link to the response where it says Can be read here - last line, first post.

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    A State where only the police have guns, is a Police State. I think this might be what some of the police want.
    But never going to happen - UK and the devolved Governments are all committed to increasing the area of woodland cover, in order to meet international climate change commitments. They also have a duty to protect vulnerable habitats - both these factors require deer control so outlawing private gun ownership is never going to happen - no mater what the wooly hat brigade want. (the same woolly hat brigade also like tree and habitats but are incapable of seeing the conflict in their anti-gun objectives)

Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    I simply asked, why, after suggesting the concern over clause 81 was alarmist, they have seemingly become 'alarmed'.
    P.S. Not heard the one about the 'fox and the scorpion', will it ruin my day ?
    Guaranteed not to ruin your day but might give you a good chuckle if one draws an inference from your 'strained relationship' with BASC and the title of this thread.
    The story goes along the following lines:

• A fox and a scorpion both need to cross a river.
    • The scorpion asks the fox for a ride on its back as it cannot swim.
    • The fox refuses saying “no you’ll sting me”.
    • The scorpion replies that it wouldn’t, as it would damage the both of them.
    • The fox agrees and allows the scorpion to ride on it’s back.
    • Half way across the river the scorpion stings the fox.
    • As the poison takes effect on the fox and it starts to sink it asks the scorpion, “Why?”
    • “Why did you sting me, now we are both going to die?”
    • The scorpion replies, “I couldn’t help myself, it’s in my nature”.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.