What quick release mounts?

124DM

Hi all,

I am soon to be getting a .30-06 double rifle for night boar shooting and woodland/highseat stalking deer. In terms of scopes, I am thinking of using two. A Bushnell Trophy 1 - 4 x 28 IR XLT and a 4.5 x 42 Photon. I believe the double rifle has a picatinny rail if not then I will fit an adapter type of thing.
But what quick release mounts would you choose to go on each scope? I was thinking Leupold QRW?

Anyone have similar experiences?

No one replied? I'm guessing we need more info? O/U or S/B/S?

Make?

I'd guess modern continental O/Us, Brownings, Chapuis etc. will have factory made QD mounts?

A Baikal S/B/S might require a query on a US Forum rather than on here?

I don't use them with regards to a double rifle but I use them on a rail on my bolt action to swap between my drone pro night vision & a day scope ...
Mounts in question are Warne maxima QR mounts/ rings .... Excellent bits of kit

Paul

I have a Bushnell Trophy 1.5-6x42 and a 2-7x32mm. The 2-7x32 has a fine reticle with ballistic dots, made for a slug gun or double rifle. A variant of this scope came with a variable IR dot. It has huge eye relief, and very forgiving about 3 to 6 inches, anywhere in there is fine, so it is quick to aim. I was going to put it on a .22 rifle, because the parallax is set for 75 yards, and the fine reticle is so sharp, but I think now it is going into Warne QR rings for a .30-30 rifle with a 24-inch barrel, on on my .444 Marlin.

The 1.5-6x42 is a 30mm tube, same as its sister scope, the 1-4x28 IR. It is very sharp an bright, huge field of view, great eyebox and relief. I think the 1-4x28 IR would be super on a double rifle or drilling. These scopes are made for the European market, and were recently replaced with new models, so be aware that you may find them at a huge discount, as I did.

As others have said, it is impossible to recommend scope bases unless we know the make and model of the rifle, and what bases it can accept. The Leupold QR rings are slick and compact, but their QRW cross slot bases and rings are much stronger. I have a set on a .375 H&H. I use Warne QR bases and rings on several .30-06s, .308s, two .270 Win and a 7x64 - very happy with their holding zero and return to zero. The recoil of a 6 lb .270 can be harder on a scope than you might think.

The weight of the scope plays a role in stressing the mounts which many people fail to consider. Staying with a lightweight scope is good. The small Leupold VX-R scopes are very good, light and slim. Friends have them on a .375 H&H, .376 Steyr carbine, and a .416 Rem Mag, and are very pleased.

Enfieldspares, It's a Baikal MP221 .30-06 side by side, mounting system is 11mm grooves however i'm considering fitting a weaver type adapter base to fit a quick release mounts. I'm after mounts that can take the stresses and recoil of a light .30-06 rifle and be taken off and replaced with little to no change in zero. So i can switch between a low mag scope and an NV scope. Initially i was looking at Leupold QRW but i'm open to suggestions. My thoughts on the scope were a Bushnell trophy in 1-4 x 24 IR, it says it is meant for a big game gun, seems to have good glass (91%) and made to take ''rigorous'' recoil and comes with good warrenty...seems too good to be true for £200 but i prefered that option to paying out over£700 for a Conquest or Duralyt IR in 1.2-5 x 36

Last edited:
Thanks for your comment, every bit of info helps. Double rifles are new to me. Oh i've put the details of what rifle it is, within a comment above.
I have a Bushnell Trophy 1.5-6x42 and a 2-7x32mm. The 2-7x32 has a fine reticle with ballistic dots, made for a slug gun or double rifle. A variant of this scope came with a variable IR dot. It has huge eye relief, and very forgiving about 3 to 6 inches, anywhere in there is fine, so it is quick to aim. I was going to put it on a .22 rifle, because the parallax is set for 75 yards, and the fine reticle is so sharp, but I think now it is going into Warne QR rings for a .30-30 rifle with a 24-inch barrel, on on my .444 Marlin.

The 1.5-6x42 is a 30mm tube, same as its sister scope, the 1-4x28 IR. It is very sharp an bright, huge field of view, great eyebox and relief. I think the 1-4x28 IR would be super on a double rifle or drilling. These scopes are made for the European market, and were recently replaced with new models, so be aware that you may find them at a huge discount, as I did.

As others have said, it is impossible to recommend scope bases unless we know the make and model of the rifle, and what bases it can accept. The Leupold QR rings are slick and compact, but their QRW cross slot bases and rings are much stronger. I have a set on a .375 H&H. I use Warne QR bases and rings on several .30-06s, .308s, two .270 Win and a 7x64 - very happy with their holding zero and return to zero. The recoil of a 6 lb .270 can be harder on a scope than you might think.

The weight of the scope plays a role in stressing the mounts which many people fail to consider. Staying with a lightweight scope is good. The small Leupold VX-R scopes are very good, light and slim. Friends have them on a .375 H&H, .376 Steyr carbine, and a .416 Rem Mag, and are very pleased.

I'm out! Sorry I've no experience of the Baikal SBS. My only input would be to do an internet search "Baikal MP221 'scope mount", or variations on that and see what results.

The American biased Accurate Reloading Forum has a double rifle sub-forum and some correspondents who are Baikal owners. Hope it's a start. And BTW they are somewhat strong minded!

If I am not wrong, Alan Rhône has a Belgian gunsmith. He will be able to advise you what mounts will suit best. He should have the skills to mount them.

Hi all,

I am soon to be getting a .30-06 double rifle for night boar shooting and woodland/highseat stalking deer. In terms of scopes, I am thinking of using two. A Bushnell Trophy 1 - 4 x 28 IR XLT and a 4.5 x 42 Photon. I believe the double rifle has a picatinny rail if not then I will fit an adapter type of thing.
But what quick release mounts would you choose to go on each scope? I was thinking Leupold QRW?

Anyone have similar experiences?

The Baikal will have an 11mm dovetail not a picatinny rail as standard. Very few double express rifles if any come with a picatinny rail fitted as standard, as it sort of goes against the aesthetics of these rifles. With respect not that this will really apply to the Baikal is they are made as a purposeful tool and looks are of secondary importance.

You can get quick release mounts for 11mm dovetails, I have a Suhl mount on my Unifrance, but it would probably be better to have a picatinny rail fitted by a gunsmith if you intend to use the scopes that you mention. I don't think that a 11mm to picatinny adaptor will really work as it would probably move with the recoil from a .30-06 rifle and in any case would probably raise the rail higher than you really want. So a picatinny permanently fixed or screwed on as low as possible would probably work best.

Irwin at Alan Rhone's is definitely one guy to speak to regarding scope mounting on a double but don't expect the solution recommended to be cheap but I can guarantee that if he does do the job it will be absolutely spot on.

If I am not wrong, Alan Rhône has a Belgian gunsmith. He will be able to advise you what mounts will suit best. He should have the skills to mount them.

I agree..Erwin is knowledgeable and could offer excellent advice. He also has the skill to do the job properly.

Back