Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: use of deer park for dsc2

use of deer park for dsc2

I assume the use of a deer park will only facilitate the gralloch and carcass inspection side of things ?
    does said park necessarily need to have larder facilities on site ?
    asking as we've free access to a park with fallow and wish to get some evidence put together in our
    portfolio's when culling starts .
    Norma

Park deer are fine to stalk as long as you fulfil requirements as detailed in the DMQ AW guide:
    Give me a call if you need any help with anything.
    Within a deer park the deer must be able to behave normally for the sex, species and time of year. They must also be able to freely move around the park and thus require a complete re stalk if they move out of range or sight or are frightened and escape the original stalk.

MS

Hi Norma

When I did my L2 (about 12 years ago) the assessor/examiner refused to accept one of my stalks as it was done within a park. Two were wild and one park. It was then stated in the rules that a maximum of one park stalk was permited. I argued my case but he resufed to accept it. Absolutely put me off any more DMQs to be honest. BUT that said it was just my experience and thing must have changed by now. I argued that in fact it should be mandatory for one to be park done as back then I learnt more in that single day, through gralloching twenty odd deer in a single day, far more than I had done in the previous two years wild stalking, saw more disease, rutting wounds etc.

ATB

Paul

I did mine using the BDS scheme which was carried out at Wadhurst Park, dont fall into the trap that says stalking in a park is easy, it was really challenging!

Quote Originally Posted by Essex stalker View Post
    I did mine using the BDS scheme which was carried out at Wadhurst Park, dont fall into the trap that says stalking in a park is easy, it was really challenging!
    I agree, I did mine with Jelen, some of the qualifying stalking that I did was outside of the deer park anyway.

As MS has already pointed out to be valid for DSC2 the deer need to be free to exhibit normal wild behaviour, a lot of people who have never experienced this sort of stalking often incorrectly confuse it with culling farmed deer.

atb Tim

My mate has been managing the park for 25 yrs as already said not so easy esp when the deer know the crack , fantastic way to learn to identify beasts and gralloch

I would talk with your DSC 2 Assessment centre and your witness who you are working with. Bear in mind finding deer and approaching deer is only a small part of an individual cull record and it is (or was) perfectly acceptable for elements of each cull record to be an amalgamation of several stalks.

I too did mine with BDS at wadhurst, not as easy as it sounds, but a great way of doing it. A good chance to shoot something unusual as well.

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    I agree, I did mine with Jelen, some of the qualifying stalking that I did was outside of the deer park anyway.

As MS has already pointed out to be valid for DSC2 the deer need to be free to exhibit normal wild behaviour, a lot of people who have never experienced this sort of stalking often incorrectly confuse it with culling farmed deer.

atb Tim
    +1 jelen
    Bryn