Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .338 winmag

.338 winmag

Hi guys, anybody here with experience of the .338 winmag? I've just found one and something is stirring inside me telling me to get it bought.... Any pros and cons of it etc? Cheers

SD Regular
    I do not shoot mine enough. Possibly the first accepted larger bore calibre - good for plains game in Africa and pretty much everything in the US (including bear). I guess I've sort of answered the Q in as much as there's no real need in this country - but that shouldn't stop us from having one. Great pig gun....!!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Yeah I was thinking similar or maybe harass some long range gongs with it... It's a Sako 75 that's done next to nothing..

SD Regular
    certainly got plenty of down range oomph.....when 300WM runs out of steam. Right up there with the SAUMs etc. As ever ammo/reloading components are a consideration....
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

It's got to be worth a punt, I'd love to have something a little different... How much of a monster (if at all) is it?

SD Regular
    I guess it depends on what you're used to. Factory loads at 225gr let you know they are there - but it's manageable with reasonable accuracy - even with my limited skill

I do feel the need to buy it... I'll have to consult the the cash stash. Thanks for taking time to reply, I'm guessing it's more than capable of 1k + on targets of j do my bit?

I picked up a new Win 70 super grade in 2008 then bought the cases and dies and I have yet to shoot it. The Kent firearms dept would not allow me to shoot it in the UK not even on a range to sight it in, I could have it on my ticket but for overseas stalking use only.

I have a couple & use them both. One is a ruger fitthed with express sights which I like to use on wet days with 275 gr semi spts for big deer in heavy cover. It's a 100m rifle. I have even done the Texas heart shot on a nice red/elk stag with this with spectacular result. The other a win model 70 with 26" barrel has a 3x 9 x40mm scope & I only use 225 grn barnes X in it now. It might be ok for longer shots for some, but 300m is long for me. I have used a few 250 gn premium pills in these but found them too hard. Some of the greatest bullet failures seem to happen in this caliber, either too soft or too hard, so some thought needs to be given to their choice.
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    I picked up a new Win 70 super grade in 2008 then bought the cases and dies and I have yet to shoot it. The Kent firearms dept would not allow me to shoot it in the UK not even on a range to sight it in, I could have it on my ticket but for overseas stalking use only.
    I've been wondering about that condition as I've heard it mentioned a few times on SD - I wouldnt want the first time I used a rifle to be when I was pulling the trigger on a live target, and I'd feel much more comfortable knowing that I had the rifle zeroed and was familiar with its use.

Does that consideration not carry much weight with some FLOs, or would it be acceptable to go to WMS Firearms training (where you can shoot pretty much anything) or somewhere similar if you're not allowed to use it on your cleared land? Or is it just a blanket do-not-use?