Thread: Pussy spots on Working Cocker belly

Pussy spots on Working Cocker belly

My Working Cocker seems to get small pussy spots on the bare skin of his belly. I think the infection would come from licking.

I feel this is caused by stinging nettles.
    Is there any creams or medication that can be given for this. It doesn't bother him too much, apart from him licking the area.

Coddy,

My cocker when he was younger would get these puss filled blisters on his belly, they would clear up after a few days. I understand that this is common in young dogs until their immune system builds up a resilience and the belly skin becomes tougher. I put it down to thistles puncturing his belly and then getting infected. I never put any cream on or used any medication, just let him lick them and all was well. The blisters have never come back since, but if the blisters on you cocker continue I would consult with your vet.

ATB 243 Stalker.

Possibly being a young dog as you say. Just under 2 years old.

Puppy pyoderma is common and unless it is really uncomfortable, isn't worth treating as it recurs. Should be gone by 2yr old though. If the spots are small and not bothering him, ignore them, maybe just bath him. It's not form nettles, but might be from small puncture wounds. However, make sure your flea control is good (ie vet sold products that work) as anything that make the skin itchy, that he then licks will alter the skin microclimate and allow infection to develop.

Thanks Buchan.