Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green NM800 IC

Green NM800 IC

Hello,

Hopefully a quick one.. I have had several cheap foxing lamps and my most recent one is in need of replacement and after much research decided on the NM800 which has some excellent reviews. If anyone can contradict this then I would be interested to know as well... However generally I have only used red light for foxing as I suppose that's traditional. I note night master do a green LED as well. Any advantage / disadvantage to green that anyone knows of. I am tempted to purchase just for something different but clearly if it yells 'run away fox' then I am not that interested.. But would night master do a green one if it was pointless????

Any thoughts before parting with cash?

Cheers all

SD Regular
    Colour is an interesting one - I prefer green as my eyes seems to work better with it (or amber) compared to red - and it is excellent on certain backgrounds, but more difficult on others. Sometimes animals respond differently, so I would say there is no right or wrong colour - you just have to try and see - and be open to change as needed. The ND3x50 has many followers as an alternate green source. So no - it's not bad as a colour, but none are the be all and end all of lamping. Animals will get used to colours and so that's another reason for change

The NM product is excellent - but don't dismiss the Tracer F900 as a contender.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I use a green led in my NM , foxes appear to be a lot more relaxed in it.

I've had the green LED and have since switched back to red for a couple of reasons.

Firstly I found the light doesn't go as far or as bright as red so past 120m or so it was harder to make out any detail or definition.
    Secondly because its green and most vegetation is green it throws back evrything in a green haze (for me anyway) so the definition between the end of a grass field and the start of a green hedge became indistinguishable meaning plenty of shots were missed as I wasn't 100% sure of the backstop. With a red led this was never a problem and I can identify quarry and the background out way further than with the green led.

Now I use the NM800 with an ir pill attached to a cheap hendhelp nv spotter and a red lamp on the rifle. I have found this works brilliantly as the foxes and rabbits aren't spooked by a lamp flashing around everywhere which allows you to set up the rifle and then flick on the lamp and take the shot all within a second or two giving them very little time to get spooked.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    I've had the green LED and have since switched back to red for a couple of reasons.

Firstly I found the light doesn't go as far or as bright as red so past 120m or so it was harder to make out any detail or definition.
    Secondly because its green and most vegetation is green it throws back evrything in a green haze (for me anyway) so the definition between the end of a grass field and the start of a green hedge became indistinguishable meaning plenty of shots were missed as I wasn't 100% sure of the backstop. With a red led this was never a problem and I can identify quarry and the background out way further than with the green led.

Now I use the NM800 with an ir pill attached to a cheap hendhelp nv spotter and a red lamp on the rifle. I have found this works brilliantly as the foxes and rabbits aren't spooked by a lamp flashing around everywhere which allows you to set up the rifle and then flick on the lamp and take the shot all within a second or two giving them very little time to get spooked.
    I can see 500m with the green pill in the NM

Some good comments and uselfull as well thanking you... Will have a look at the tracer and do some more weighing up me thinks.

Personally, I would not want red light as a gift. To me, red just cuts out too much light. I really like white light, but concede that green light can spook things less.

Why not try a cheap T20 or similar to see how you get on with a light of that type before splashing out on the NM800?

Nm800

Have you considered getting a spare red led module for NM800, along with green?
    That way you could swap over to suit different conditions?

Have you experience of the T20? Going through google it seems to have a pretty good review on it at the fraction of the price.. It's the fraction of the price but that makes me think is there a reason why it's cheap? I am not a massive kit junkie but like quality where possible.