Any guesses as what this could be?

scotspine

I keep bumping into this bit of metalwork out on the hill and don't know what it is. It is approximately a mile from the nearest road and half a mile from any water way plus down a steep, wooded slope.

20160430_151400.jpg

Any ideas... train, plane, automobile!

Ta

they are put down purposely so adders etc can use them to bask on and to live under,I saw a programme on the TV showing some people(can't remember what affiliations they had)putting them down.The tin holds the heat for them.

Martin

they are put down purposely so adders etc can use them to bask on and to live under,I saw a programme on the TV showing some people(can't remember what affiliations they had)putting them down.The tin holds the heat for them.

Martin

Somtimes they do the above to act as adder traps if there is a big job (some Mways, pipelines etc) on so someone can catch the adders and move them away from the job so noone gets bit.

But there could a a few other random reasons why its there, mibee part of a shed/7.5T van contanaier used as a store/shelter and rest has rotted away or possibly even another stalker used it as his deer sliegh (unlikely)

Thanks,
A roller door it is then. Can't imagine how it got there though. There is a plane crash site about 3km away but seems too far for it to have originated from there. I know of tin sheeting travelling a few hundred meters but not 3000!

Any old atv's have roller doors... snowcats etc ?

For adder / reptile counting and capturing we used, bitumen squares easier to carry and retain the heat better than tin, roller door blown in a storm

Well, I'm now thinking it could be the bomb bay roller doors off a liberator bomber that crashed 3km away at the end of ww2. pictures on the Internet very similar

Well, I'm now thinking it could be the bomb bay roller doors off a liberator bomber that crashed 3km away at the end of ww2. pictures on the Internet very similar

One simple test, if it is steel then it is unlikely to be an aircraft component. Has anyone tried the obvious and simple test of a magnet?

images
Does look bit like this which is off a Liberator, google images,Liberator bomb bay door its a short scroll down Tom

That's the image I found, along with others. Metal has corroded in places but no rust. Apparently the plane clipped the top of a nearby mountain shortly before crashing and it is believed it may have lost it's bomb bay doors as a result. I suspect that I've found a bit of the doors, thus confirming the story.

Oh well, it has lain there for 70 years and as a result of me stumbling across it I've brought myself up to speed on what happened to those on board who were looking forward to being reunited with their loved ones; very sad.

Back