Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: glyphosphate in weedkillers

glyphosphate in weedkillers

I have just seen on the local news that the EU intend to push through a total ban on its use within the EU . I did hear about this proposed ban some time ago. but like most folk assumed it had gone away. i live in hope that at the end of june we can be rid of this EU FOR GOOD .

Bloody EU, trying to prevent the death of umbilical and placental cells...

Weed-Whacking Herbicide Proves Deadly to Human Cells - Scientific American

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

Quote Originally Posted by ndt man View Post
    I have just seen on the local news that the EU intend to push through a total ban on its use within the EU . I did hear about this proposed ban some time ago. but like most folk assumed it had gone away. i live in hope that at the end of june we can be rid of this EU FOR GOOD .
    After hearing that Monsanto's reported claims that it's weedkiller was neutralised on hitting the ground were found to be inaccurate, and that on top of that the WHO said it was likely carcinogenic...and given we are on Spring water surrounded by fields sprayed with Roundup I was rather grateful to the EU temporary moratorium, and rather hoped after the independent research we would be rid of this GLYPHOSATE FOR GOOD.

One man's meat is definitely another one's poison in this instance.

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 12-06-2016 at 10:13. Reason: spelling and WHO attribution

God help NZ if in proves to be correct its carcinogenic, they spray the stuff every where.

So what alternative products are available?

Replacement is called a Dutch hoe, applied by hand

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    God help NZ if in proves to be correct its carcinogenic, they spray the stuff every where.
    When I first moved there in the mid 1980's they were still using DDT.

Glyphosate is fine for use on grassland (e.g., prior to re-seeding), and we'll be stuck without it. There's no direct link between the chemical and any food crop if used in this way - many months (if not years) would elapse before animals consuming the new sward would be slaughtered for consumption.
    The safety of its use as a dessicant is a little more dubious, as it's applied to a food crop (e.g., oilseed rape) immediately before harvest, so is bound to end up in the food chain.

A sensible legislator would realise these are two very different usages of the same chemical, with different risks, and rule accordingly.

Tim you cant use sensible and legislator in the same sentence they,re normally not on the same page.When i worked at a Massey dealer,s every year the rules on roundup pro and various other chemicals got stricter but dafter in equal measure and it,s going the same way with rat poison and other such chemicals .Before long youl need a licence to order the paperwork to order weedkillers
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Glyphosate can also cause us concerns in our drinking water. It usually peaks at different times of the year following the increased usage on crops etc and then runs off into the water course/rivers and onto our treatment plants. Same applies to chemicals like Metaldehyde (used in slug pellets) and are not good in high concentrations.