Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 x 64 joined the club

7 x 64 joined the club

i'm going to try and work up a load this weekend

n165 162 amx

well see how i get on

anyone got any data on these components

I use N165 in my .270. 60.0gr gives me 2850-2900fps with 150gr gameking (I did try up to 62.0gr while developing loads). With the slightly larger bore and case capacity I'd guess you'd be ending up with a similar powder charge or maybe a bit less for the heavier bullet. I use federal 215 primers btw.
    Last edited by takbok; 10-06-2016 at 20:18.

you won't look back

I use 57.0 gr N-160 with Sierra GK 160-gr and 56.0 with Speer Grand Slam 160-gr, in Remington brass and primers. These loads are a bit over VV max.Start 4.0 gr lower and work up to what suits your rifle and brass. Outstanding accuracy.

thanks for the replies so far
    i have a just measured my length of round to my ogive and length to lands and have come across a possible issue
    using amax 162 and seating the bullet to ogive 30 thou of lands the bullet will fall out, the boat tail itself only enters the neck and no bearing surface on the bullet enters

this is different to all other calibers i have loaded where they seat with approx caliber width in neck, so with 243 about the same of bearing length of bullet into the neck with ogive around 20 thou off rifling,
    so i will have to seat these bullets in the 7x64 to around .300 of an inch from lands to ogive,

will this be an issue seems a hell off a jump.will i lose out to velocity or accuracy
    is 7x64 known for having a long throat

Quote Originally Posted by mash67 View Post
    i have a just measured my length of round to my ogive and length to lands and have come across a possible issue
    using amax 162 and seating the bullet to ogive 30 thou of lands the bullet will fall out, the boat tail itself only enters the neck and no bearing surface on the bullet enters

this is different to all other calibers i have loaded where they seat with approx caliber width in neck, so with 243 about the same of bearing length of bullet into the neck with ogive around 20 thou off rifling,
    so i will have to seat these bullets in the 7x64 to around .300 of an inch from lands to ogive,

will this be an issue seems a hell off a jump.will i lose out to velocity or accuracy
    No ...................... Just seat the bse of the bullet to the bottom of the neck and I bet you will surprised how well it shoots.

Sorry I do not know what CIP specs say about the 7x64 chamber and throat/leade.

A lot of classic cartridges seem to survive the "long jump" very succesfully. I am sure muir will be along soon with a pearl or two about standard lengths and crimping as well.

David.

I would say grab some 280 Rem data and make hay!
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

Quote Originally Posted by mash67 View Post

So you will find that the 7x64 was designed to have a big jump, I too found it very strange to start with, but when you fire a round or two you forget all about it.

I will measure the COAL of my 162-gr SST loads later today, but if you just put a Lee factory crimp at the cannelure, about 3.375", IIRC. The long jump is going to be okay, because the long bullet will fill the throat to maintain consistent combustion. It is important to seat the bullet deep enough in the neck to get good alignment.