Thread: Used moderaters

Used moderaters

Saw a advert for used moderaters ,saying as they were used they would not need to go on your FAC.Any views. Does this mean you can post them without going to RFD.

ACJ.

The RFD that sold me a DPT mod wrote "DPT Mod" on the FAC. If I change this then I will need to apply for a variation.

Thats how i understand it.

Not sure how a used moderator can affect it being a firearm, unless it's one suitable and fitted to an air rifle.
    Who knows with recent changes in law (Scotland)how that will work, for even them.
    The description written on your FAC and paperwork will determine the future sales,transfers,exchanges of the mod. This was discussed here recently. Perhaps the RFD could better explain how....can't see it myself.john

Quote Originally Posted by acj375 View Post
    Thats how i understand it.
    That's how you understand what ?
    Mods are a listed item, new secondhand or dead, you buy it you need a slot.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by acj375 View Post
    Saw a advert for used moderaters ,saying as they were used they would not need to go on your FAC.Any views. Does this mean you can post them without going to RFD.

ACJ.
    Whoever placed that advert is either stupid or trying it on.
    Any moderator used on a firearm has to go on your FAC.

Cheers

Bruce

Any moderator must be on your certificate, as this is laid down by your police firearms department. I have an article taken from the Shooting Times Magazine, written by Bill Harriman, that states you do not need a licence to purchase a moderator, as it is only a tube with baffles, and only when fitted to a firearm does it then become a moderator. At the time, I took this into my local gun shop in Perth and showed them this, and they told me he is correct, by the home office law. But he gave me a copy of a letter he had been given by Tayside police pointing out to him, the police were requiring him to record all sales etc, and record all records on firearm certificates, as we know it now.
    Just as in law you do not have to have a metal gun safe, the police, say you do, but there again The Bill of rights says we have the right to arm ourselves, but again big brother does not agree.

Quote Originally Posted by mealiejimmy View Post

Cheers

Bruce
    Totally agree with Bruce. any mod new or second hand must be on your ticket BEFORE you buy it. Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza308 View Post
    Totally agree with Bruce. any mod new or second hand must be on your ticket BEFORE you buy it. Jerry
    Quote Originally Posted by mealiejimmy View Post

Cheers

Bruce
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    That's how you understand what ?
    Mods are a listed item, new secondhand or dead, you buy it you need a slot.

Neil.
    As stated, it only needs to be placed on your FAC if you intend to use it with a firearm. The advert is not doing anything illegal and by buying one you are not doing anything illegal. But why you would buy one without the intention of not using it, is another matter.

You can quite happily own an air rifle and a .22 mod no problem whatsoever, place that mod on your 1022 without it being on your FAC and you will be royally ****ed.