Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 case prep

.357 case prep

I find it fascinating how the cases grow in length as you run them through the full length sizing die. Although I cannot get a bullet to drop through the mouth before full length sizing and some people say they never full length size their 357 brass, I am not worried too much about reduced case life by resizing.
    Everyone is different and wondering the thoughts of differing views of people who reload straight walled cases.

I don't know anybody who doesn't full length resize .357 cases. I have never heard of anyone only trying to resize just the "neck" of a .357 case, in fact how would you determine what the neck is on a straight walled cartridge.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

SD Regular
    If you don't massively crimp straight wall cases I find that they don't massively grow either...but they do still grow "some". But see below.

As, that being said, I do trim straight wall cases every now and again. Lead bullets seemed to make cases grow more than jacketed bullets and Lead Hollow Base Wadcutter the most of all.

And I've found that, back in the day, .44 Magnum, .455 Webley all seemed to grow more that anything in nominal .36" calibre (.38 Special/.357 Magnum/9mm Parabellum). In fact I can't recall ever the need to trim 9mm Parabellum.

During my years of pistol shooting i fired approx 65,000 rounds of fullbore ammo, .357mag .44mag, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP and 38 super with my 357 revolver being my favourite, each and everyone was full length sized and all were full power loads, case length was critical for the 10mm, 45 and 38 super as the cartridges headspaced on the case mouth, the rimmed cases were trimmed to accommodate consistent crimping.
    When the cases started to split the whole batch were dumped and a new batch purchased.

Ian.

SD Regular
    I've just read WB's reply. What I had forgotten...but he stirred me into remembering...is that the bullet weight was also an important factor in making a case grow. The lighter bullets inn whatever calibre having less effect than the heavier bullets in the same calibre.

Strangely I've shot thousands of 44 magnum from my various underlever rifles over the last 5 years using Starline cases, I'd estimate the cases have been used well over 50 times each and I've never had one that has needed trimming to length! (and yes, I do check them every time I reload them!).
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

When I shot 200 M handgun silhouette competition I trimmed cases. My goal was to have each case with a uniform roll crimp. My loads were very accurate from revolvers (.44 and .357) and my sights seemed to be the only limitation to accuracy for the targets in question, even at the 175 and 200M. Because I limited my shots hunting to 75 yards or so with a handgun, I did not trim hunting loads to a uniform length at every reloading. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    Strangely I've shot thousands of 44 magnum from my various underlever rifles over the last 5 years using Starline cases, I'd estimate the cases have been used well over 50 times each and I've never had one that has needed trimming to length! (and yes, I do check them every time I reload them!).
    I'm finding that with .357 they never get long enough to need trimming although I will trim them for uniformity.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I don't know anybody who doesn't full length resize .357 cases. I have never heard of anyone only trying to resize just the "neck" of a .357 case, in fact how would you determine what the neck is on a straight walled cartridge.
    Correct me if I am wrong; Full length sizing isn't detrimental to the accuracy of the round then. If it was, then nobody would bother to full length size the brass.

With .357 it's the case belling that is causing the majority of the wear and tear on the case rather than the re-sizing.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Always F/L sized my straight walled cases, my .38 spec and my .32 S&W Long competition brass was trimmed for uniform length when new and although checked, they rarely needed trimming again.

.38 Spec shooting 148gn HBWC with a hint of roll crimp and the .32 S&W Longs with 98 gn full wadcutters set right inside the case with a little taper crimp.

My .357 rounds for my Winchester 94AE never get trimmed but always F/L sized (and a thumbs up for carbide dies here )