Venison Liver "Estonian Stylee"

Harry mac

When I went on a shooting trip to Estonia afew years ago I was served up the liver of the wild boar I shot and I liked it so much I asked the chef what he'd done with it. As I didn't have quite all the ingredients to hand for my muntjac liver the other day I substituted a couple of bits and still came out with a very nice dish. Here goes, to serve 2.
Ingredients:
Venison liver x 1/2
Paprika
Mushrooms
Creme Fraiche
1x onion
2x cloves garlick
Olive oil for frying.
Chicken gravy granules
Method:
Finely chop the onion, and slice or chop the mushrooms.
Crush and chop the galick cloves
Cut the liver into fairly thin strips.
Make up about 1/4 pint of chicken gravy.
Put the olive oil in a frying pan and heat until at frying temperature. Add the onions and garlick to the pan and fry until the onions are just starting to colour.
Add the strips of liver, and a good dose of paprika.
Fry until the liver is almost cooked and then add the mushrooms and chicken gravy.
Simmer until the mushrooms are cooked and the gravy has thickened a bit before adding about 2 teaspoons of creme fraich and allowing the sauce to heat up again but not boil.
Serve with chips or diced, deep fried potatoes

Harry was that your "tweeked" recipe or was it the one the chef gave you? Either way can you put up the Chef one too please?

Tweaks

The recipe as posted is the "tweaked" version. The original used fresh cream instead of creme fraich, and proper chicken stock instead of the gravy granules.
Amir, glad you liked the recipe.
The chef also gave me a recipe for heart, but I can't remember what went in to it, although the above recipe does work equally well with heart.

Cheers Harry, got a freezer full of livers so will try it soon.

You don't have something for kidneys do you?

Cheers Harry, got a freezer full of livers so will try it soon.

You don't have something for kidneys do you?

think there is a receipe in my hugh fearnley meat book for "deviled kidneys"

4 x kidneys cut into quarterswith whitish core trimmed out
a little fat or oil ( sunflower or oil )
1 small glass of sherry
1 tablespoon whitewine vinegar or cider vinegar
1 teaspoon redcurrant jelly
few goodshakes of worcestershire sauce
good pinch o cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon english mustard
1 tablespoon double cream
salt and black pepper
bit o chopped parsley to garnish

heat the oil in a wee pan and add the kidneys, sizzle for just a minute to brown, keep em moving.
add the sheery let it bubble then follow up with more modest splash of wine or cider vinegar
add the redcurrant jelly and stir to dissolve
now add the worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper mustard and plenty of black pepper.
season with salt now add the cream and bubble for a minute or twountill sauce is nice n "glossy"
taste and add more cayenne or pepper if you need a bigger hit.
serve with fried breadto give crunch and mop up the sauce or for main maeal serve with rice

sorry for hijacking the thread:oops:

that liver receipe sounds good!!!! cheers gonna try that! i always wanted to do summit else with livers dont use them enuff.
sauer / paul

Harry

Tried the liver it was fantastic many thanks for sharing. Even the new missus liked it so thats a real plus.

Sauer How are you friend, back I see? Will try the kidney recipe too

Thanks Fella's

Harry

Tried the liver it was fantastic many thanks for sharing. Even the new missus liked it so thats a real plus.

Sauer How are you friend, back I see? Will try the kidney recipe too

Thanks Fella's

yeah back....and awya again!!! sitting in Rotterdam jist now but should be homecouple of days....hopefully some evidence of the Roe rut !!!

cant wiat to get back to plagarise /copy finnbears "blackarts /kitchen" pie reciepe!!!! sounds good!!!

im gonna give that a go me thinks

sauer /paul

Back