RPA Woodland Stalker

What problems did you have with it Sean?

I wasn't that chuffed with the accuarcy first of.Also some nob at RPA gave me the wrong thread size for the moderator even after i asked him 3 times if he was sure he had it right.But it is all sorted now and i am happy with the rifle my mate bought one at the same time and he happy with his aswell.For a heavy rifle the handling is excellent and it is a very comfortable rifle to use.As for velocity i havn't had time to chrony it yet but zero'd 1.25" high at 100 yards it is about 3" low @ 200 thats with 123gr sako.I would hope that the 130gr barnes will shoot a bit flatter as i am using a quite hot load.The few fallow prickets i have shot with it didn't seem to like at as much as i do :)
ATB SEAN

I wasn't that chuffed with the accuarcy first of.Also some nob at RPA gave me the wrong thread size for the moderator even after i asked him 3 times if he was sure he had it right.But it is all sorted now and i am happy with the rifle my mate bought one at the same time and he happy with his aswell.For a heavy rifle the handling is excellent and it is a very comfortable rifle to use.As for velocity i havn't had time to chrony it yet but zero'd 1.25" high at 100 yards it is about 3" low @ 200 thats with 123gr sako.I would hope that the 130gr barnes will shoot a bit flatter as i am using a quite hot load.The few fallow prickets i have shot with it didn't seem to like at as much as i do :)
ATB SEAN

My 18'' barrelled Sako 75 shoots those 123grn rnds differently to that. From a spot on 100m zero they drop around 2'' at 200m. This is off a bench rest, back in the real world, I could happily shoot a box full of them at the same aiming mark using various positions at various ranges from 20m to 200m and get a 4'' - 5'', 20rnd group, this, in my opinion, is the true test of a rifle/cartridge/scope/firer combo.
JC

looks like its struggling with throwing those sako 123's - you regretting getting rid of the blasers yet?
http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatables/SakoCartridgesDatatable2010.pdf

In a word no.The RPA is a very nice rifle to shoot as was the blaser but in my humble opinion the RPA is a nicer rifle to shoot and i didn't have to spend 300 quid on a set of mounts for it ;).As for struggling to shoot the 123gr sako ammo it shoots them into sub 0.5 groups so not that bad really.Of course only time will tell how it proforms in the real world.By about febuary next year i will know for sure whether it is a keeper or not but first impressions are favorable.
CHEERS SEAN

It took my .243 RPA thumbhole hunter a 100 odd rounds before it settled down, mate has a .308 RPA interceptor and that was the same. I tend to shoot this rifle unmoderated as I prefer the feel of it with out the mod. I am thinking about changing it for the woodland if I hear some good reports.

I find the comments a bit strange , and there was me thinking Sean had used his own money to buy the rifle of his choice !!!

i have a rpa interceptor in 22/250 its deadly accurate with whatever home loads i have put in it.
The trigger is sweet the stock is very nice to use. yes it has a fair bit of weight.
but as i shoot it from off the jeep that doesnt matter.

out of interest what thread size did he tell you it was. i guessed they where all m17x1 spigot thread.
I really like the rpa rifles. but wouldn't pay the prices they ask for them now.

secondhand though they can be picked up at a bargain:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Jay, I've heard lots of good things about RPAs, but I'm after a real world report on the Woodland Stalker. Sean?

Last edited:
Recently read an interesting report from NZ Hunter magazine about a short barrel 308, they just about made up the loss of speed
via H335 stoked up loads. Not all is lost by shortening a 308 barrel.
edi

They should have called it the woodland sniper - too heavy for my taste. I keep my heavy barrelled rifles for other uses, but not stalking. 18in is not all that short for a .308 (or 7mm-08) - look at the .30-06 length stutzen mannlichers of old, now those barrels produced plenty of blast!

Just been reading back on this old thread.

I have an RPA Woodland Stalker in .308 with the 16" Barrel.

Using Hornady Superformance 165grn SST factory ammo, it shoots under 3/4" and over my magnetospeed V3 its averaging 2704ft/s with an Standard Deviation of 8.9. Which i'm more than happy with for factory fodder.

A few things I would say with the RPA:

Its the least ammo fussy rifle iv'e owned, you can chuck anything down the barrel and it always shoots well.

The trigger is superb.

It is heavy, but its also bloody stable when you've been puffing away.

The fit and finish of the rifle leaves something to be desired. Particularly, the magazines which are crap. wish you could stuff a standard Sako mag in it!

In summary, shoots superbly, but they could do with making a Mk2 with completely new magazines, magazine retaining mechanism, and more work on fit and finish.

good morning guys here are some pictures of new line of rpa rifles we are updating all our rifles are now avalible fitted with pse carbon stocks as well as avalible in any chamberings all the rpa rifle barrels will be custom chambered and fitted by me

Attachments

• 20200213_095442.jpg
    20200213_095442.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200213_095422.jpg
    20200213_095422.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: ejg
Back