RPA Woodland Stalker

Sam

Hello All,

Wondering if anyone has come accross one yet? I know there was a thread some time back about the rifle, but It doesnt seem to have anything new. Has anyone got one/fired one? I had a play with one at the Newark fair, but as yet havent heard of one being used in anger.

Have they cleared up whether its deer legal yet? I asked the chap at the show and he said "erm, well we need to fully test it" :rolleyes:.

For thoose who havent the foggiest what Im on about heres a link

http://www.rpainternational.co.uk/woodland_stalker_rifle.asp

Sam

Last edited:
I don't care how great it shoots: Overpriced and overweight, for the money you can get yourself a custom made rifle to your own specs... :stir:

It is on my shortlist in my quest for a rifle that handles ok when moderated. Expensive, but then so is a Blaser R8, another compact rifle. The weight on the other hand.....

I agree that 8.8lb makes her quite a heffalump.

IMHO I would get someone to make me a custom gun in whatever calibre I wanted (though it probably would be a .308 with that short a barrel), mainly becuase I dislike thumbhole stocks...

Sam

I hope there alright ,I have one cominng in july i will let you know how it goes.As for being deer legal were you talking about the .243 or .308? As most good stalkers know the 243 even when deer legal is only just enough gun;)
CHEERS SEAN

Sam

Have to agree with Mat. For the kind of money they are asking for one (are they not over £3,000?), you are not that far from getting yourself a seriously good completely custom built rifle if you go to the right place.

I wont comment on whether they are worth it, or if they are any good or not as I have never even held one let alone shot one. Each to their own though as it would be a boring world if everyone had the same opinion as me! All I would base my comments on is this; for all those claimed to be superbly accurate sporting rifles out there, I have yet to see any of them used up against custom built rifles used in any of the target disciplines. I know that target shooting is a million miles away from stalking but are we not ultimately looking for the most accurate rifle we can lay our hands on? I know I am. Hence I shoot with custom built rifles. In fact one is up for sale just now in the classifieds...... if you care to take a look!!!

I hope there alright ,I have one cominng in july i will let you know how it goes.As for being deer legal were you talking about the .243 or .308? As most good stalkers know the 243 even when deer legal is only just enough gun;)
CHEERS SEAN

Sean

If you are thinking of ever bringing it north of the boarder you might find that even the 308 model will be very close to being illegal for our deer, without careful reloading.

A factory 308 150gn load normally are around 2850fps velocity from a 24” barrel, as a rough guide knock 50fps off for each inch of barrel and you are left with only 2450fps,:eek: which is the minimum legal velocity up here even for roe. :oops:

Of cause that is just theory, if it was me I would run one over a chrony to be sure.

As for the weight, 8.8lbs:rofl: hell I have a 22” barrel rifle that weighs just 5.5lbs bare, from a special order factory rifle not a custom job. I always like RPAs as well. :british:

ATB

Tahr

I plan on using 123gr sako ammo or load barnes 130gr so i should hopefully make fps needed in scotland.RPA say they got 2650fps with 150gr ammo.when i do come to scotland i pack the old .270 sako which ticks all the boxes.As for custom rifles i have several built by some of the best gunsmiths in the uk and usa,Callum ferguson,neil mckilop,Kelblys and dave tooley.Why have a RPA? because it was everything i wanted and if it shoots well why have someonelse build it? The trouble with custom rifles is that anyboby that can work a lathe thinks he can build a rifle.I will keep informed on how it goes, if doesn't go to plan it will be in the classified ads buy august:)
ATB SEAN

I plan on using 123gr sako ammo or load barnes 130gr so i should hopefully make fps needed in scotland.RPA say they got 2650fps with 150gr ammo.when i do come to scotland i pack the old .270 sako which ticks all the boxes.

The use of 123/130gn bullets would be in line with what I was thinking; the 2650fps sound good velocity from a 16” barrel, theory and practice do not always coincide.

Can’t fault the 270 for when the going gets tough and you have to reach out.

ATB

Tahr

Would be grand if you could keep us posted Sean :thumb:. I personnaly dont have a problem with 20" barrels, but again I do like RPA stuff.

BUT Their new highland stalker... in .270 ... :drool:

Meat and Poisen I guess,

Sam

Personaly dont like the look of the woodland stalker and having shot a few quadlites (and quadlocks) think the bolt lift too heavy....ok its a short lift but it upsets the rifle.

Just my opinion.

Would venture a guess that a Blaser with a 20.5" barrel would be as short, or damn near, as the RPA. It will be cheaper, as accurate, and a lot lighter. When the time comes to sell, you won't take a bath on the Blaser...

I am selling a blaser to buy the RPA.Why? why not. I agree that there is not alot of difference in length.The only thing i will say after owning 3 blasers is that they do not come close to the build quality of the RPA .Time will tell on the accuarcy.
SEAN

I had a look at the RPA and discounted it for three reasons:

I am L/H.
2) Over-priced.
3) I was concerned over the very short barrel length generating velocities.

I have specced and ordered custom with a 20" barrel in 6.5 X55.

Sorted.

H

I am selling a blaser to buy the RPA.Why? why not. I agree that there is not alot of difference in length.The only thing i will say after owning 3 blasers is that they do not come close to the build quality of the RPA .Time will tell on the accuarcy.
SEAN

Have you got anything to report about the snub RPA yet?

I have 20 inch .308 and it will lob 130s at 2900 without going too hot. Working on (the rule of thumb) 50 Fps per inch that takes that down to 2700fps, which gives 2104ftlbs at the muzzle so legal for everything in the UK.

I think they will struggle to get the .243 legal for even roe in England. I was getting 2970fps with a 22-inch barrel when shooting 95-grain heads with the .243 when it was standard. Working on loosing 50 fps per inch that takes it down to 2670fps which would give you 1504 ftlbs at the muzzle so not even legal for roe in England.

You would need to get it to do 2808fps with a 100 grain round to get 1750ftlbs to make it legal for the big boys in Scotland. I think you would be running a bit hot to achieve that.

It is worth noting that the 50fps rule of thumb doesn't always follow. I recently tried some Blazer 165 in .308 in my 20 inch barrel and was getting 2570fps a friend was shooting them in a differing rifle with a 24 inch barrel and he was getting 2650fps so the difference between our rifles with the same round was only 20fps per inch.

Dave

Last edited:
It is worth noting that the 50fps rule of thumb doesn't always follow. I recently tried some Blazer 165 in .308 in my 20 inch barrel and was getting 2570fps a friend was shooting them in a differing rifle with a 24 inch barrel and he was getting 2650fps so the difference between our rifles with the same round was only 20fps per inch.
I think the 50FPS rule is close to the mark on 243, 270 and other rounds using the slow powders.

The loss with the medium / fast powders is more like 25FPS, certainly true for my 260.

My 30/06 with a 20.5" barrel will lob 165's at 2725 with a mildish load of Re17, a grain or more short of book max.

Well guys i have finaly taken delivery of my woodland stalker.I have to say after some teething problems it is real nice rifle to shoot it groups 0.5 moa with barnes 130gr triple shcck.It shoots the same about the same with 123gr sako.Being short it handles like a dream it does not pull bacck on your shoulder when carrying it.All in all pretty chuffed with it:D
ATB SEAN

Back