Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Private Land

Private Land

Does anyone have any information please with regard to private land.
    My mate has shooting in a large forest , private but with marked footpaths and bridle ways. Unfortunately the usual crowd who think they have their rights are always around.

The place has been vastly improved for runners, dog walkers etc. to enjoy as decent hard-core road have been put in. All paths marked and private areas fenced off. Yet this eve as we turned up a local was running through the private part having cut through the temporary tie wraps on a double get (twice) but that now has a lock on it.

When challenged in a polite manor he said he knew the area was private but it needed to have signs put up...he refuse to give his name and carried on.

What signs are needed ie wording size etc and where from please, this also applies to our high seats as I am sure one of these idiots will see one soon and have a peek at it or wreck it.

Also if he is on the private ground can a photo be taken of him , I believe in a public place this is legal?

Utterly ironic as he was trespassing , running with a dog off the lead , no collar as he went onto the public highway....Most likely carry a knife to have cut the tie wraps....so actually commuting several possible offences ..

Would really like to halt the trespassing of such idiots but need to know how to go about it legally of course.

I have though about graffiti paint on the areas where folk climb the fences.

Many thanks.

It`s not an offence to carry a knife.

If you have FPs and bridle ways , and by the sound of it the owners have encouraged the public to use it, your only option is to live with it, no amount of signs will make the slightest difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    It`s not an offence to carry a knife.

Without it being of legal length & construction? & being carried for a legal purpose?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

There's all sorts of legislation that could apply. For example having with you an object to cause criminal damage. That could be the knife he is carrying or equally would apply to a spray can, magic marker, hammer etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    There's all sorts of legislation that could apply. For example having with you an object to cause criminal damage. That could be the knife he is carrying or equally would apply to a spray can, magic marker, hammer etc.
    Agreed, but if you have legal purpose/use for a knife, it is legal to carry/have a knife. My vehicle is classed as public place(incidentally I don't agree with this), but I have several knives of varying sizes and designs in the vehicle, I also have two employs that require these tools, along with my shooting/stalking needs of same.
    Last edited by finnbear270; 13-06-2016 at 16:17.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Cutting the cable ties should constitute criminal damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
    Cutting the cable ties should constitute criminal damage.
    Yup.

We live in a tiny crowded island. It used to be rural and people accessed all the land all the time and that view is still within the DNA of most people. There are a lot of paths - both marked public as well as undesignated that have been used for centuries. However there are an increasing number of particularly "new" monied landowners who come in and erect all sorts of fences and "keep off my land" type signs. That is a red flag to most.

Yes a few people do damage - the vast majority do not. The vast majority of people pay taxes and most landowners receive large levels of grants to maintain the countryside.

In Scotland the land access legislation enshrines both the right of access but also the responsibility of access - the one good piece of legislation IMHO, just a pity that the powers that be do enforce the responsibility bit on those few idiots who cause damage.

As much as I sympathise with you, there is not a lot you can or should do. Apart from work around it and live with walkers