Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what are the savings ?

what are the savings ?

What are the savings on buying a factory load bullet against a home load bullet ?

Chill

Once set up, savings are that cost per round falls usually, but, depending on how difficult ammunition is to obtain, could be the only practical course of action. However, savings of cost often turns into more shooting, so you don't actually save money, but do get more shooting.
    Not sure if that reads correctly, but you'll get the gist I hope.

e.g.
    Powder 1lb = 7000 gns divide by charge e.g. 38gns = 184 loads/charges £44/184 = .24p
    Bullet (Sierra) = .25 each approx
    Primer = .05p each approx
    Brass = £80/100 = .80 divide by number of times used, maybe 8 = .10p

Total per round using the above numbers = .64p = £12.80 per 20 rounds
    All the above variable against different powder charge and more expensive bullets.
    Last edited by deeangeo; 13-06-2016 at 07:28.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Most of my rounds work out at just over half the cost of factory, with the exception of PPU and not including set up costs. Although I reload for better accuracy and effectiveness, if it cost the same or more than factory for better results, I'd still do it

Generally it's not about cost saving. Reloading means far superior accuracy, much greater bullet choice and is another hobby ( or obsession to some of us ) in itself.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    Generally it's not about cost saving. Reloading means far superior accuracy, much greater bullet choice and is another hobby ( or obsession to some of us ) in itself.
    Quite true.
    What often starts as a cost saving exercise usually ends up as much much more as experience and knowledge/understanding is gained.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    What are the savings on buying a factory load bullet against a home load bullet ?

Chill
    Presumably what you mean is the cost of a home loaded round of ammunition against the cost of a factory round as many factory rounds use the same bullets as are available for reloading.

This subject when discussed numerous times in the past on this site can be quite divisive (try a site search).
    The simple answer is that if you only shoot a couple of boxes of ammunition a year of a fairly common cartridge then it's probably not worth your while getting started. However if you shoot more than say 60 rounds of ammo a year the investment in the most simple of reloading equipment is absolutely minimal and you can soon start to make savings. If you shoot a less popular cartridge that is not readily available in the shops then reloading may be your only option.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post

Chill
    As ever, 8x57 makes excellent points above. The only thing I would add is that in some places you may not be permitted to use home loaded ammunition. I successfully shot for over 30 years using factory ammunition before starting to reload. I now mostly use reloaded ammunition, but still purchase some factory ammo from time to time.

Regards

JCS

The savings can be considerable but its not as straight forward as a direct saving in cost between a hand loaded round and a factory one
    how to you put a price on convenience, for me a to go and buy ammunition would mean a round trip of over sixty miles and no guarantee they would have what I want, so you have the expense of travel plus you loose half a day in time.

Of course I still need to travel to buy components but a !of less often as in my area they will allow you to hold much more components
    than they will loaded rounds.

When it comes to the cost of equipment my initial loading equipment was acquired in exchange for an outings stalking, also in almost thirty
    years of reloading I have never bought brass, getting all mine from clients and friends who don't, reload.

So yes for me at !east reloading has been very cost effective.

I think you also need to consider what your "time" is worth to you, personally I seem to have a very busy life and would rather buy some ammo and use that time on other things, probably actually being out shooting however I also appreciate that for some reloading is a hobby and they enjoy spending time doing it

Quote Originally Posted by Essex stalker View Post
    I think you also need to consider what your "time" is worth to you, personally I seem to have a very busy life and would rather buy some ammo and use that time on other things, probably actually being out shooting however I also appreciate that for some reloading is a hobby and they enjoy spending time doing it
    Another excellent point and partly explains why I buy 6XC and 308 Win factory ammunition. Regards JCS