Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 Hornet, .222 or .223 for foxing

.22 Hornet, .222 or .223 for foxing

OK Guys, I'm sure this has been covered numerous times before but even so I would welcome some up to date personal thoughts and opinions from "you guys in the know".
    I am seriously thinking about thinning down the rifles and shotguns in my cabinet to make room for a "dedicated" Foxing rifle. (I am currently using my moderated 270 (On AOLQ - Open Conditions) However I am sure you will all agree that it is a bit of "overkill" but dead is dead in my books and as I can get my PPU ammunition at well under 50 pence a bang it's not overly expensive - However it is VERY messy!)
    I am currently thinking along the lines of either a .22 Hornet, a .222 or a .223 - Whichever I chose would have to be moderated and reasonably accurate using factory ammunition as I don't really have the time or space for reloading!
    Most of my "foxing" is done either in daylight by laying out watching over the earths during the summer months or on the lamp during the rest of the year. I am usually shooting at ranges of no more than around 150 but let's say (For the benefit of saving any arguments) 200 yards maximum!
    Of the three calibre I am thinking about which would you opt for taking into account costs and availability of (Factory) ammunition, prices of moderators, and "efficiency" when used for dealing with Charlie, and of course barrel life! (I put the 22 Hornet into the mix as it could also be used for "long range rabbits" without (Hopefully) too much meat damage but I'm not sure on how well it deals with Charlie as I have never used/owned one?)
    Alternatively are there any other calibres which I ought to be thinking about as an alternative to fit my needs without breaking the bank - At this stage I will add that I will be buying "Pre-Owned" due to a "limited budget"!
    Which ever calibre you feel would do the job best please state why rather than just saying "I would go for such and such a calibre"!

Many Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!

I use a .221 fireball for fox,fast,flat and does the job. I reload so they rounds cost bout the same as .17hmr .
    .204 Ruger is a popular round as is the .223. I took my .223 out last Saturday for a change and got two foxes not too messy and dropped them on the spot.
    Good luck with decision.
    Steve.

At 200yards max I personally would want more terminal energy than the hornet can deliver
    Foxes have a habit of trying not to die where you shot them and I don't like playing hide and seek

on the subject of reloading I think this is where these smaller calibre really come into their own.
    a lee loader and a shoe box of bits is all you need

I personally went .222
    the rifle were cheaper than .223
    the cartridge is more efficient than the .223 and takes less powder
    they are idiot proof to reload for

If using factory ammo choice might be better with .223.

My stalking buddy has 222 a real nice little CZ Stutzen. Mine is a Mk 11 Ruger 223. As far as performance goes on Roe, Fox etc it would be hard to find much difference in practical terms. Reloading for both is easy.

Acknowledge of course all the past records that were held using the triple but everything moves on.

222 every time. Some great deals on guntrader on used Sako's the last day I looked.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Between the .22 cal rounds you ask about my thoughts are that the .222 Remington is hard to beat. bewsher seems to have it nailed down rather well.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    If using factory ammo choice might be better with .223.
    good point
    check your local suppliers for fodder before committing

I have used all three off and on over the years and have a very fond opinion of the hornet ,having averaged over 200 a year with it for well over a decade in the late 80s -90s if you hit them right they go nowhere , however im using a 223 now with a fast twist and heavier bullets and that does the job easily out to 300 yrds as does the 204 i have too with ease
    However if i was in the position to reload and had a free choice for what i do i'd pick a hornet again its a joy to use no recoil little to no report and once you learn its capabilities a fantastic calibre
    a barony original

Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

SD Regular
    At 200yards max I personally would want more terminal energy than the hornet can deliver
    Foxes have a habit of trying not to die where you shot them and I don't like playing hide and seek
    What B500 said. I shot a rabbit through the jaw with a .22 Hornet and had to send a dog for it. I believe that the same impact in the same place through the jaw with a .222 or .223 would have killed it. Whilst a .22 Hornet will, of course, kill a fox I believe that if the shooter has a choice that he/she would be handicapping themselves.

The BSA Hunter in .22 Hornet that I used was a lovely delicate little rifle but nowadays there are better calibres. And most importantly .22 Hornet regardless of where it is used is now illegal for roe. So it never can be a dual purpose fox/deer rifle.