.22 Hornet, .222 or .223 for foxing

FrenchieBoy

OK Guys, I'm sure this has been covered numerous times before but even so I would welcome some up to date personal thoughts and opinions from "you guys in the know".
I am seriously thinking about thinning down the rifles and shotguns in my cabinet to make room for a "dedicated" Foxing rifle. (I am currently using my moderated 270 (On AOLQ - Open Conditions) However I am sure you will all agree that it is a bit of "overkill" but dead is dead in my books and as I can get my PPU ammunition at well under 50 pence a bang it's not overly expensive - However it is VERY messy!)
I am currently thinking along the lines of either a .22 Hornet, a .222 or a .223 - Whichever I chose would have to be moderated and reasonably accurate using factory ammunition as I don't really have the time or space for reloading!
Most of my "foxing" is done either in daylight by laying out watching over the earths during the summer months or on the lamp during the rest of the year. I am usually shooting at ranges of no more than around 150 but let's say (For the benefit of saving any arguments) 200 yards maximum!
Of the three calibre I am thinking about which would you opt for taking into account costs and availability of (Factory) ammunition, prices of moderators, and "efficiency" when used for dealing with Charlie, and of course barrel life! (I put the 22 Hornet into the mix as it could also be used for "long range rabbits" without (Hopefully) too much meat damage but I'm not sure on how well it deals with Charlie as I have never used/owned one?)
Alternatively are there any other calibres which I ought to be thinking about as an alternative to fit my needs without breaking the bank - At this stage I will add that I will be buying "Pre-Owned" due to a "limited budget"!
Which ever calibre you feel would do the job best please state why rather than just saying "I would go for such and such a calibre"!

Many Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!

I use a .221 fireball for fox,fast,flat and does the job. I reload so they rounds cost bout the same as .17hmr .
.204 Ruger is a popular round as is the .223. I took my .223 out last Saturday for a change and got two foxes not too messy and dropped them on the spot.
Good luck with decision.
Steve.

At 200yards max I personally would want more terminal energy than the hornet can deliver
Foxes have a habit of trying not to die where you shot them and I don't like playing hide and seek

on the subject of reloading I think this is where these smaller calibre really come into their own.
a lee loader and a shoe box of bits is all you need

I personally went .222
the rifle were cheaper than .223
the cartridge is more efficient than the .223 and takes less powder
they are idiot proof to reload for

If using factory ammo choice might be better with .223.

My stalking buddy has 222 a real nice little CZ Stutzen. Mine is a Mk 11 Ruger 223. As far as performance goes on Roe, Fox etc it would be hard to find much difference in practical terms. Reloading for both is easy.

Acknowledge of course all the past records that were held using the triple but everything moves on.

Between the .22 cal rounds you ask about my thoughts are that the .222 Remington is hard to beat. bewsher seems to have it nailed down rather well.

I have used all three off and on over the years and have a very fond opinion of the hornet ,having averaged over 200 a year with it for well over a decade in the late 80s -90s if you hit them right they go nowhere , however im using a 223 now with a fast twist and heavier bullets and that does the job easily out to 300 yrds as does the 204 i have too with ease
However if i was in the position to reload and had a free choice for what i do i'd pick a hornet again its a joy to use no recoil little to no report and once you learn its capabilities a fantastic calibre

At 200yards max I personally would want more terminal energy than the hornet can deliver
Foxes have a habit of trying not to die where you shot them and I don't like playing hide and seek

What B500 said. I shot a rabbit through the jaw with a .22 Hornet and had to send a dog for it. I believe that the same impact in the same place through the jaw with a .222 or .223 would have killed it. Whilst a .22 Hornet will, of course, kill a fox I believe that if the shooter has a choice that he/she would be handicapping themselves.

The BSA Hunter in .22 Hornet that I used was a lovely delicate little rifle but nowadays there are better calibres. And most importantly .22 Hornet regardless of where it is used is now illegal for roe. So it never can be a dual purpose fox/deer rifle.

I have to say that so far things seem to be getting quite heavily weighted towards the triple two when everything is weighed up.
As it is I used to own a nice little CZ triple two which was extremely accurate (I wasn't using a sound moderator on that one but whatever rifle I do end up getting for foxing with will be moderated) - At the time I was reloading for it and with the home loads I was doing it would head shoot rabbits out to well over 200 yards. The only reason I sold it was to finance a larger deer calibre rifle - I really do wish I hadn't sold it now!

Just out of interest can anyone say which moderator seems to work most efficiently (Noise wise) on a .222 as I would have to take that into consideration when pricing up a foxing outfit?

Moderator......
now you've opened a can of worms.
I use a Wildcat Evo you can swap baffles per calibre I have three sets .22 / .243,6mm etc and .30
my mate has the same one and we really rate them.
Steve

Out of interest what bullet were you using? Modern tipped varmint bullets (35 gr v-max), and as I found out at the weekend lead free varmint grenades, tend not to leave a head if they touch bone often to the extent that you find nothing or just the skin from the entry side. Soft and hollow points unless designed specifically for the hornet are too hard to expand well and will pencil through which is why I've stopped using the 40 gr nosler FBHPs even though they're accurate through my rifle.

To the OP, I love my hornet its by far my favourite rifle but if I'm pushing over 150 yards, particularly for fox I take the 0.223, so either 0.222 or 0.223 but it looks like you've made up you're mind. If noise is an issue though and you can keep ranges <150 yards the hornet is the winner, I've just sorted a 30 gr barnes varmint grenade load that is notably quieter than a moderated HV 0.22LR and at <150 it will stop foxes on the spot as mentioned above provided shot placement is good.

I recently sold my .22 hornet for a .223. Whilst the hornet is a cracking round, it really needs handloads to get the best out of it, factory ammunition is eye wateringly expensive when I could find some around here.

All 3 will do what you want.
If ammo cost is sn issue. 223 wins hands down.
You can do some cool stuff handloading a hornet. It will never be a 222, but it puts a good hit on a fox with the right projectile. 200m will be a stretch, but if you know your holdover easily achievable.
My experience is mainly with 22 K Hornets.
With a 40gn Vmax, i could regularly shoot hares heads at 150m. Occasionally 200. But the fact the vmax sat back in the case a little used to **** me off.
My last K hornet was a Weihrauch. Superbly accurate and beautifully balanced.

Dare I say it but you have to consider a .204. Must say I think mine is just fantastic, soooo accurate light, minimal recoil, 1" high at 100 yds its just point and shoot. With correct moody v quiet to boot. Ammo easy to get hold of and easy to reload. 39 grn blitz kings are just deadly on feather and fur. All you then need is a high mag scope with a very fine reticule. If you fit a decent rail then easy to change between scope and NV. I have rarely used my .223 since getting my .204.

D

I have both a .22 hornet & .222 for fox.i love the hornet out to about 120m,but if I think I am going out further than that I take the .222 every time,a very accurate underated cartridge in my opinion.i have had a .223 in the past,didnt do anything I cant do with the .222

I have both a .22 hornet & .222 for fox.i love the hornet out to about 120m,but if I think I am going out further than that I take the .222 every time,a very accurate underated cartridge in my opinion.i have had a .223 in the past,didnt do anything I cant do with the .222

How's about shoot 40 grain to 69 gr (or heavier for a 1:8) equally well (sub MOA) from a factory rifle?

I used a 22 hornet when skins were worth money. Was dropping them out 250 yards with ease. A few did move from where I shot them but never very far, I had more runners when I shot with a 22-250. I'm toying with getting one of the 17 cals for a dedicated fox rifle at the moment.

Back