Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for the fisher folk please- wading boots

A question for the fisher folk please- wading boots

I'm after some advice from the forums fishing members if possible please. Having just taken delivery of my first ever "stocking foot" waders (cheers Diverdave, excellent service, lovely fella) I need to source some wading boots. Never having had a pair, and not having a tackle shop nearby, ( and being basically broke and tight) I'm currently scouring eBay for bargains. Could anyone tell me about sizing? Are they made bigger to compensate, or do I need to go up a size or two so they fit ok. I'm normally a 10/11 so do I need a 11/12 for example, or is that not how it works?

many thanks in advance

It's always better to try them on if poss, but personally I find 'orvis' boots fit me in my usual size.

Hi Tuck,
    In the last two pairs I've used, gone up a size to accommodate the neoprene feet of the waders.
    cheers
    Paulm

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    It's always better to try them on if poss, but personally I find 'orvis' boots fit me in my usual size.
    Same here.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Go up several sizes. Better too big than too small. Nothing worse than spending all day with crushed toes!

I have never found it necessary to order a size larger, but always best to try some if you can.
    Then think about the soles, felt/studded etc
    Cheers
    Richard

I use an old pair of grippy running shoes as I'm broke and can't afford fancy boots - work a treat and ten a penny really if you look.

You can even by self tapping short hex head screws for metal stubs if you'd like for about a 1 in screw fix to make studs.

DOn't be won over by the fancy wading boots, all my old ones did was fall to pieces...

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    I use an old pair of grippy running shoes as I'm broke and can't afford fancy boots - work a treat and ten a penny really if you look.

You can even by self tapping short hex head screws for metal stubs if you'd like for about a 1 in screw fix to make studs.

DOn't be won over by the fancy wading boots, all my old ones did was fall to pieces...

Sensible advice.

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post

done the same with old walking boots and it worked well enough, only thing I did find was that you want to have some protection against too much sand and fine gravel entering through the boots tongue area, can be uncomfortable if you're getting too much of that in and could wear out your stocking foot quickly. I did find that old boots were a bit snug though.
    You don't say what kind of fishing you're doing? felt soles are definitely preferred by some over studs on slippery surfaces, but you can get felt soles to glue on old boots, or as said before, self tapping studs.
    Ive moved on "up" now and had the cheapest Orvis boots for about 6 years with no sizing problems and normal wear, they are more comfortable as they drain better being designed for purpose. Most important if you're new to wading is to stay safe! take it slow and get used to it, especially in rivers!

I use Dunlop wading boots, nice and light, good pattern on the sole. They were 35.00 from a local company.

They are used for wildfowling, with one eye on the ducks and the other on the tide!!

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....