A question for the fisher folk please- wading boots

tuck1

I'm after some advice from the forums fishing members if possible please. Having just taken delivery of my first ever "stocking foot" waders (cheers Diverdave, excellent service, lovely fella) I need to source some wading boots. Never having had a pair, and not having a tackle shop nearby, ( and being basically broke and tight) I'm currently scouring eBay for bargains. Could anyone tell me about sizing? Are they made bigger to compensate, or do I need to go up a size or two so they fit ok. I'm normally a 10/11 so do I need a 11/12 for example, or is that not how it works?

many thanks in advance

Hi Tuck,
In the last two pairs I've used, gone up a size to accommodate the neoprene feet of the waders.
cheers
Paulm

Go up several sizes. Better too big than too small. Nothing worse than spending all day with crushed toes!

I have never found it necessary to order a size larger, but always best to try some if you can.
Then think about the soles, felt/studded etc
Cheers
Richard

I use an old pair of grippy running shoes as I'm broke and can't afford fancy boots - work a treat and ten a penny really if you look.

You can even by self tapping short hex head screws for metal stubs if you'd like for about a £1 in screw fix to make studs.

DOn't be won over by the fancy wading boots, all my old ones did was fall to pieces...

I use an old pair of grippy running shoes as I'm broke and can't afford fancy boots - work a treat and ten a penny really if you look.

You can even by self tapping short hex head screws for metal stubs if you'd like for about a £1 in screw fix to make studs.

DOn't be won over by the fancy wading boots, all my old ones did was fall to pieces...

Sensible advice.

done the same with old walking boots and it worked well enough, only thing I did find was that you want to have some protection against too much sand and fine gravel entering through the boots tongue area, can be uncomfortable if you're getting too much of that in and could wear out your stocking foot quickly. I did find that old boots were a bit snug though.
You don't say what kind of fishing you're doing? felt soles are definitely preferred by some over studs on slippery surfaces, but you can get felt soles to glue on old boots, or as said before, self tapping studs.
Ive moved on "up" now and had the cheapest Orvis boots for about 6 years with no sizing problems and normal wear, they are more comfortable as they drain better being designed for purpose. Most important if you're new to wading is to stay safe! take it slow and get used to it, especially in rivers!

I use Dunlop wading boots, nice and light, good pattern on the sole. They were £35.00 from a local company.

They are used for wildfowling, with one eye on the ducks and the other on the tide!!

Tim.243

Have some cheap and cheerful ones with felt and studs on sole, didn't cost more than £30-40

thebwaders should have gravel cuffs to go over boots

i just managed to detach the rear of the heel sole when removing them without undoing the laces properly!

you can spend 30 or 300
i see no point in buying leather ones
get synthetic

Go one size larger if you can't try them on - also be aware that sometimes like shoes they can be too narrow if you've got wide feet - you can usually pick some up in a sale quite cheap as fishing tackle is like mainstream fashion these days where new models come out every season for those with too much money and/or enough time to fish that they actually wear gear out!
Tight lines

richard

Go for your actual size or the size above if a half size - 8.5 etc. If the boots are too big you'll wear out the feet of the waders and keep a watch on ebay

Thanks guys, great advice as usual, and to cap it all, a generous member has offered to send me some that he has spare, I am stunned by the generosity shown on this site at times. Many thanks to all, I'm sure the local populace will be grateful that I'm no longer stood in the middle of the river wearing nothing but swimming trunks and a smile...

Depends on your wading environment. Several size large is fine for rocky streams. If your stream bottom (or pond/lake/estuary) is mucky, you want them as tight as possible, or the suction will remove them (first hand knowledge here) and it is quite difficult to reclaim them.

Back